Big Biscuit

Party Boat rod-n-reel combo?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Looking for a moderately priced rod and reel combo for hitting Connecticut's party boats. Will be fishing the long island sound for stripers, blues, maybe tog too. I've been out of that scene for good while now and sold off my gear. Now the surf fishing sucks so bad I'm headed back to the party boats. I'm working with a $400 budget so be easy. Thanks in advance.

opened a can of stuff.
way too much options.

best is probably to check the BST for used gear especially for going to war on a PB.

so you dont have to baby it all that much.

13 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Looking for a moderately priced rod and reel combo for hitting Connecticut's party boats. Will be fishing the long island sound for stripers, blues, maybe tog too. I've been out of that scene for good while now and sold off my gear. Now the surf fishing sucks so bad I'm headed back to the party boats. I'm working with a $400 budget so be easy. Thanks in advance.

Friend of mine got some nice used rods from Tags in Plainville.  Reels he had already.   What exactly I can't recall but the prices were Walmart level. 

He mostly does blackfish, bsb and fluke.   But not party boats.

I'm tempted to take the same plunge, sell most of my gear, hit a head boat a couple times a year and be happy.  This year has sucked big time.  Just finding a place to park has become way more effort than it's worth. 

On 8/30/2021 at 1:45 PM, Big Biscuit said:

I'd look at some Ugly Stick Bigwater series and maybe see if you can find an new in box jigmaster 500. One of these combo's can put a ton of fish on the deck.

I’ve been playing with a few different setups lately and one of my current favorite short(er) money setups is an Ugly Stick Tiger Elite Jigging 50-100 (6’3”) paired with a Penn US Senator 113N and 600yds of Seaguar Threadlock 50lb and about 50yds of Berkley Big Game 50lb (or 60). All total should be close to your budget.

For those fish I wouldn’t get an expensive rod. A lot of the boats I’ve been on make you flip the smaller fish in which is a big no no with today’s super thin walled blanks. Cheap fiberglass rods stand up to party boat abuse a lot better than a high end graphite rod.

Just go to a good tackle shop. They will fit you in the price range you need to be and sell you the right stuff. A lot of them are not overpriced. When I first started I found out it was cheaper than ordering it online because you get exactly what you need the first time.

On 9/23/2021 at 0:59 AM, bennie said:

…. 2speed 20 visx,,,,,,,:headscratch: on a ul invictus 76 rod wood be a unstoppable combos,,,,,,,,,:D

Missed the $400 budget part eh?

21 hours ago, Rhett said:

Missed the $400 budget part eh?

Yes,,,, but the baja special and a vintage fiberglass rod works for the eastcoast,,,,,:laugh: i maxed out a 4/0 with a 30wt crowder rod,,,,,,:D 

20200803_175109.jpg

16 hours ago, bennie said:

Yes,,,, but the baja special and a vintage fiberglass rod works for the eastcoast,,,,,:laugh: i maxed out a 4/0 with a 30wt crowder rod,,,,,,:D 

20200803_175109.jpg

Loving that red theme! I’m a big fan of those U.S. Senators myself. Got the same handle but added the old style bent arm on both of mine.

390EB15A-389D-43B6-89F9-97D9F4A71AA5.jpeg

Ugly stick tiger 7’ and a 6000 size shimano reel. I’ve used it for fluke, blues and stripers in the ocean here off NJ. Probably a bit over kill but a nice outfit that will not be over matched.