J.K.

Dock/pilings install regulations questions

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Hoping there are some members here that are experienced/knowledgeable with the regulations of installing/reconfiguring docks and pilings.  I get so many different stories/information from these real estate agents my head is spinning.  I'm looking to buy a house on the water and one of the most important requirement is for me to be able to dock my boat.  Many house lack the pilings or piers that was hoping to have so here are some questions for Merrick/Bellmore/Wantagh area:

1. Can new piling be installed strictly for the purpose of installing a boat lift?  I hear this is a non issue to get the permits for, whether one (pilings) currently exists or not.

2. Is it possible to get permits to install new piling if it never existed for the purpose of tying a boat and a floating dock?

3. Is it possible to get permits to reconfigure the existing pilings?

4. Is it possible to install a pier if one never existed?  I do see other house nearby that has them but I'm told if one never existed, it will most likely not be possible.

Thanks for any information you can help with. I really don't need opinions and am hoping to hear from the experts or people who are in this industry.  If you have a home in these areas and you have gone through some of these, I would love to hear your experiences as well.  Thanks again.

Anything is possible, if you can get the permits. Getting them is the question. And if you can secure the correct permits from the town, army corp of engineers, and DEC, it can take months to years. 

town and dec permits at least. As stated above , contact a reputable dock builder , they should be familiar with the permitting process in your area.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, NonTypical said:

Anything is possible, if you can get the permits. Getting them is the question. And if you can secure the correct permits from the town, army corp of engineers, and DEC, it can take months to years. 

And in the case of one in my local N. Shore harbor, if you have enough money to sue the Village who has jurisdiction, knocking their legal budget out of balance, over and over again, eventually they throw their hands up and allow you to do it. In this particular case, the house did have a few broken pilings already in. In shallow water with about 1-2' of depth at low tide. New owner had two larger boats 26-32' and wanted it moved to deeper water. Closer to the channel itself. 

Edited by brushfly

Thanks guys.  I definitely will be contacting a reputable dock company but didn't  want to put an offer on a house if I couldn't get the piling or dock I need for the boat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Speaking for my village, pilings can only replace those where they pre-existed. Everybody on our bay or harbor who wanted to float a boat behind their house used connected floating docks and mooring anchors to keep them in place. They are Installed and removed each season and need town approval and permitting. They are limited to a certain maximum square footage regardless of the size of the vessel to be tied up to it. Also consider over the winter they need to be stored so you either pay to have them stored on your property if possible or wintered over in a mooring companies yard. 

Edited by brushfly

Thanks brushfly.  Your first sentence is what I'm afraid of.  If it never existed, it may be difficult or impossible to get the permit.  On the other hand, I'm hearing that installing for the purpose of a boat lift shouldn't be a problem.  

It there a way you can get that written into the purchase agreement? I wouldn’t want to have my next 30+ years to be miserable, nor would I trust anything anybody says about it. Realtor, town, city, or county.

I would most definitely try to get that in writing.

Know someone who thought they could sneak in a few pilings to increase the size of their "dream house" deck. Eventually the y had to remove it and pay fines.  20 years ago it cost them about 75K. for their re-do 

DEC has the ability to see what’s happening from above in real time. They can also look at old overhead pics and compare to present day pics. Nothing gets by them. At some point, you’ll get caught for doing work without permits.