HL

Wet Wading

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm in RI this year - vs Cape Cod.

I was wet-wading the other day during the incoming of ocean water to Pt. Judith salt pond.

If I can wet-wade, the water has to be warm - and it was.

Tons of bait - but nothing bothering them.

I have to ask myself - am I wasting my time wading the beaches and bays for Stripers if the water is that warm.  

I always fish first light - so up until recently it meant getting up at 4:00 AM.  Now, almost September - getting up at 4:45 - 5:00 will do.

It's a struggle to convince myself to get out of bed for what amounts to casting practice.

What are all you doing - if you are shore-bound?

herb

If your not catching you can still learn something about the area like where are the holes, currents, type of bait that shows. Maybe practice casting technique, see how a new lure swims make the most of your time for when they do show up

Depends on the temp of the water and time of season. For instance in my MV Vacations, in July I've done well on bass early AM's wet wading their salt ponds and backwater. Those times I've gone in August there was nothing. 

7 mins ago, onthefly said:

If your not catching you can still learn something about the area like where are the holes, currents, type of bait that shows. Maybe practice casting technique, see how a new lure swims make the most of your time for when they do show up

19 mins ago, HL said:

Hi all.

I'm in RI this year - vs Cape Cod.

I was wet-wading the other day during the incoming of ocean water to Pt. Judith salt pond.

If I can wet-wade, the water has to be warm - and it was.

Tons of bait - but nothing bothering them.

I have to ask myself - am I wasting my time wading the beaches and bays for Stripers if the water is that warm.  

I always fish first light - so up until recently it meant getting up at 4:00 AM.  Now, almost September - getting up at 4:45 - 5:00 will do.

It's a struggle to convince myself to get out of bed for what amounts to casting practice.

What are all you doing - if you are shore-bound?

herb

Well we're fast approaching prime time. When the water is warm like it is now ... best bets are placed at change of light & night. Assuming you're NOT rock hopping then look for tidal movement / outflow from tidal ponds, breech ways or rivers. And with all the bait around ... a Bluefish blitz along the beach is always a possibility during anytime of the day. Good luck Herb with my old home waters.

There was a product called Mysterioso. It was made out of California. I was able to wet wade Boston a few weeks back at 67 degrees when shorts were not enough, a wet suit would be too much and waders would be too clammy. It would act like a 1-2 mil wet suit. The product is now discontinued after the sickness of the co-creator. It was plush lined with a thick cut of "M-tech" polar fleece. Breathable and dried fast. 

31 mins ago, KironaFly said:

Well we're fast approaching prime time. When the water is warm like it is now ... best bets are placed at change of light & night. Assuming you're NOT rock hopping then look for tidal movement / outflow from tidal ponds, breech ways or rivers. And with all the bait around ... a Bluefish blitz along the beach is always a possibility during anytime of the day. Good luck Herb with my old home waters.

Very much so, in fact this pond leads to two jetties (Tashmoo) and in late August and through early fall, those bass now pile drive the peanut bunker into the rocks themselves. Almost impossible to catch though with thousands if not millions of PB emptying out.  That said the areas around them can become ambushing points at times for Bonito and Albies as well. 

Fish at night.  Meaning 2 hours after dark.  That bait is in the estuarine ponds getting slammed by Stripers.  Fish a sinking head or line to get below the balls of Peanut Bunker and Spearing to the big girls.  Surface fishing is a waste of time.  You simply cannot compete with the concentrated bait after dark.  Both incoming and dropping tides are productive.

19 hours ago, 02807Fish said:

Fish at night.  Meaning 2 hours after dark.  That bait is in the estuarine ponds getting slammed by Stripers.  Fish a sinking head or line to get below the balls of Peanut Bunker and Spearing to the big girls.  Surface fishing is a waste of time.  You simply cannot compete with the concentrated bait after dark.  Both incoming and dropping tides are productive.

so you have no concerns about water temp? You've recently fished the Estuary ponds and caught stripers?  Just trying to distinguish between theory and actual results.  - thanks. 

12 mins ago, bruce.campo said:

so you have no concerns about water temp? You've recently fished the Estuary ponds and caught stripers?  Just trying to distinguish between theory and actual results.  - thanks. 

Bruce,

The simple answers are yes I am concerned as a general matter, but no it has not affected the fishing in my local RI estuary at night and yes I've caught Stripers (as recently as a few days ago).  Because there is such a concern about spot burning here, I will not comment further.  When the bait come in, the fish follow.  Darkness and moving tides are critical. The bait counterintuitively swim against the current and are easy pickings for the fish at choke points. The top water action is visual, especially near a certain bridge with a streetlight, but a waste of time trying to compete with using flies.  I swing flies using a two hander, Spey techniques and sink tips to get below the bait balls.  Tail slapping can be heard deep into the flats and shallows off the main stem of the river.  I hope that helps Herb.

Mark

6 mins ago, 02807Fish said:

Bruce,

The simple answers are yes I am concerned as a general matter, but no it has not affected the fishing in my local RI estuary at night and yes I've caught Stripers (as recently as a few days ago).  Because there is such a concern about spot burning here, I will not comment further.  When the bait come in, the fish follow.  Darkness and moving tides are critical. The bait counterintuitively swim against the current and are easy pickings for the fish at choke points. The top water action is visual, especially near a certain bridge with a streetlight, but a waste of time trying to compete with using flies.  I swing flies using a two hander, Spey techniques and sink tips to get below the bait balls.  Tail slapping can be heard deep into the flats and shallows off the main stem of the river.  I hope that helps Herb.

Mark

Thanks for the quick reply Mark - appreciate it and by no means did I want any location revealed.

This time of year is generally slow for me fishing beaches and estuaries on the upper Cape. Lots of birds and breaks two evenings ago but too far out to reach. Last evening bait but only a few birds. 

I probably should fish at night but just don't enjoy it.

3 hours ago, Bucko said:

This time of year is generally slow for me fishing beaches and estuaries on the upper Cape. Lots of birds and breaks two evenings ago but too far out to reach. Last evening bait but only a few birds. 

I probably should fish at night but just don't enjoy it.

The more you try it the more you are likely to love it. Bit like that first swig of beer and first drag on a ciggie.

oly

Hey Bob 

In RI there are few areas like that. 

We have narrow Brechways bordered by rock jetties. 

I don't do rocks. 

And even if I did - the real estate is limited so they rotate positions. 

Also not a place for fly rods.

One can fish the inside of the Breachway.  But the action is outside. Mostly accessible by boat.

Herb