SPR61

What is it?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Scary little critter, I'm thinking how big those teeth would be if it were say two feet long?

Edited by XBMX

22 mins ago, XBMX said:

Scary little critter, I'm thinking how big those teeth would be if it were say two feet long?

It's a Northern Sennet a record size would be like 18 inches. You got a good one they usually leave from the bay to the reefs when they get about that size that you caught. They are the smallest of the barracudas but I still think they are neat.

19 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

It's a Northern Sennet a record size would be like 18 inches. You got a good one they usually leave from the bay to the reefs when they get about that size that you caught. They are the smallest of the barracudas but I still think they are neat.

Has anyone caught a larger version of it from the surf?

3 hours ago, occasional_surfcaster said:

Has anyone caught a larger version of it from the surf?

During the fall run people occasionally get into them but not much bigger than the one from this thread. I would imagine for the largest ones you would have to fish on proper reef structure. I don't think once they are full grown they migrate back. 

I've caught a bunch of these (sennet) using fresh water gear and/or a shortened Sabiki while wading from Milford to Madison CT. Until now I wasn't sure what they were, but my best guess after a Google search was northern sennet (like others in this thread confirm). When I caught them I was entertaining/teaching friends' kids catching snappers off the beach and inlets in late summer and early fall. Very cool looking little fish that sometimes bit tins way too big for them (in my mind)