Portuguese Man of War in Montauk

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Can Man-o-war stings be treated with the usual Adolph's meat tenderizer, with or without vinegar?

Back in my day we just pissed on ourselves; but im pretty sure meat tenderizer is the way to go now, I know alot of lifeguards used to carry spray bottles of vinegar as well.  These treatments are only to break down any stingers that haven't gone off yet, doesnt do much for the damage already done.

19 hours ago, hhager23 said:

The loggerhead turtle feeds on the Portuguese man o' war, a common part of the loggerhead's diet. The turtle's skin is too thick for the sting to penetrate. The sea slug Glaucus atlanticus also feeds on the Portuguese man o' war, as does the violet snail Janthina janthina. The blanket octopus is immune to the venom of the Portuguese man o' war; young individuals carry broken man o' war tentacles, presumably for offensive and/or defensive purposes. The ocean sunfish's primary diet consists of jellyfish, but it can also consume Portuguese men o' war.

Very informative 

12 hours ago, daytripper said:

Yup that was us.. Were you the solo dude on tip? 

I was on friends 22 whaler on your port side coming in inlet,,by gosmans, we were commenting on that beauty,not sure i ever saw one,what a Boat! DT

Ahhh...I saw you guys.

It's a beast..... Custom Hull #2 off the line.  It's the perfect combination of wine and cheese and fishability.  I've never run at such speed and comfort.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

On 8/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, scoobydoo said:

Enjoyed the day cruising around in the New 46 Valhalla Center console.

Came across 7 Man o Wars

Never saw them this far north.  With a stiff breeze they'd wash up on my friends lawn down in ramrod key.

Saw em by the thousands down there.

First time seeing one here.

Anyone else see em in numbers up here?

Years back I saw them washed up on the Jersey shore.

29 mins ago, Danthe said:

Got hit by one when I was 10 in South Carolina. Scar goes from my belly button to hip pocket, with little “Z” at the end. I tell kids I got in a sword fight. 

Doc said the scar would go away in about 3 months. It’s been over 40 years! 

Damn! I still have scars my dog Duke gave me (playing rough) when I was 10 (60 years ago) but that was tearing skin. Definitely will not be picking any of those bad boys up. 

5 hours ago, Danthe said:

Got hit by one when I was 10 in South Carolina. Scar goes from my belly button to hip pocket, with little “Z” at the end. I tell kids I got in a sword fight. 

Doc said the scar would go away in about 3 months. It’s been over 40 years! 

As long as you can keep a straight face, that's a great line.

Saw a little fella playing with a jellyfish once and told him “be careful, they sting” and showed him my scar. He kept looking at it and was pretty inquisitive. His (beautiful) mother came over and thought it was impressive. I thought “hmmm, maybe she’s single”. Then she says “would you show my husband?” 

Dangit...

True story. I still get the hebbie geebies when I’m in the water. My kids don’t care one bit. Makes me nervous as hell. 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:27 PM, BrianBM said:

Can Man-o-war stings be treated with the usual Adolph's meat tenderizer, with or without vinegar?

I think the new way to treat stings is by scraping the area with the edge of a credit card to remove any stingers and then to apply an ice pack. My daughter got stung pretty bad by a sea nettle last year (wrapped around her leg) and that method seemed to work.