Lantern flies

Rate this topic

Slowwwride

Unfortunately they have officially invaded our neck of the woods in NJ. I don’t have any large trees on my property. Only a few smaller decorative trees, nothing that could do damage to my home. I’ve noticed about 6-10 swimming around in my pool every morning. Aside from squishing them is there anything that can be done? By the way, the fookers are pretty resilient. I smacked one with a flip flop and it got up…. I had to put weight on it . Nasty…. 

sorry meant to post this in the tavern, mods please move over my bad

Edited by Slowwwride

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, we're going down

You should report them via the designated website if you haven’t already, not sure what exactly that will do but at least they’ll know they are there. I actually had one hit me in the face in a parking lot in Mercer County on Thursday. Went to report it but I learned Mercer (along with a few others)  is considered a “quarantine county” and didn’t have to. I guess that means they are already well aware. 

Nasty things. 

76377454-2147-4687-93E8-50584127F47E.jpeg

If u don’t have sumacs and grape vine you won’t see too many.  They seem like maples too but to a lesser extent.  They don’t seem to do much damage…yet 

rather have them than the cicadas.  Luckily here on the edge of piney land we don’t have either  

re-ban quest

And the buggers eat something like 50-60 different plants. They are particularly bad on vineyards and orchards. The folks at USDA/APHIS/ State Ag groups better get on them with some sort of bio control but fast. And, the bastards lay their eggs everywhere, including inside truck and car wheel wells. So they'll travel all over the states before long. Another benefit of globalization. Story line is they came in on a bunch of Chinese rocks imported by a nursery in SE PA. 

1 hour ago, AdrianF said:

If u don’t have sumacs and grape vine you won’t see too many.  They seem like maples too but to a lesser extent.  They don’t seem to do much damage…yet 

I notice them on my norway maples, which are invasive ("introduced") as well, from canadia.  

I am getting a ton of sap drip from the leaves in the canopy.  Its all over the deck and other foliage near the floor, and attracts ants and yellow jackets.  Its kind of neat in a way, but I still kill em at every chance.  

46 mins ago, rockeddy said:

Ailanthus are not Sumacs. Ailanthus are a non-native, invasive. Also known as Tree of Heaven, native to Asia, as are the LanternFlies.

This.  

They congregate on the Allianthus I think to breed.  Its a crap tree anyway, low quality wood which breaks easily and is crap for firewood or woodworking.  You hsould cut them all down but one, let the lantern flies congregate on the remaining one, and then kill em all.  

Its an uphill battle, but its a strategy!  

We've caught sunnies on them on the surface, my sons turtles eat them, and my bearded dragon absolutely goes nuts for them.  

I just had one in my back yard the other day.  Makes sense they like Tree of heaven, my neighborhood is infested with those trees, just cut one down that had been dropping branches on to my roof.  The trees themselves are a huge pain, now youre tellin me we got tree of heaven bugs!?

They have been in my neighborhood for over a month.   I was walking around the the neighborhood the other day and I saw a tree that had what looked like a 3 ft strip of fly paper all around the trunk loaded with hundreds, maybe thousands of lantern flies