Bass2Snook

Chicken Scratch color plug for snook/tarpon

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Some sharpies will share but my comment was more directed at people who think they know stuff but really don't. Most people in my area are googans, you can always tell from a distance because they are usually equipped with 8-15lb rated rods 2-4K reels and 10-15lb braid for snook and other species that pull hard and live around structure. That stuff is fine for trout and anything under a few pounds. It's the fish simp tactic of begging for a bite from anything rather than actively targeting/hunting an animal and being OK with striking out.

From my very limited experience on the east coast so far it seems there's a lot less googandry and a lot more people know what they're doing. There are a lot of sharp people here too but there are either less of them overall or more secretive or both. 

Edited by RedGreen

Get out there and FISH ! Throw the bag , hit all the tide phases , light conditions , two eyes , two ears one mouth , look , listen , learn . If you can , book a trip with a reputable guide familiar with the area , fishery you wish to learn more about , again listen , look ,learn , don’t try to impress the guide with your prior success’s . $$$ well spent . Drop some coin at local tackle or bait shops . Think outside the box , one of the best connections I ever made in the Keys , I’m fortunate in that I get down their often , was a fella who pots crabs commercialy , I stopped to buy crabs , one thing led to another , I made a friend who keeps me informed as to what’s what concerning the fishery . Most importantly , get out there , it’s fishing , like anywhere else , put the time in , keep your eyes open and you’ll be rewarded . Good Luck 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, RedGreen said:

they are usually equipped with 8-15lb rated rods 2-4K reels and 10-15lb braid for snook and other species

My favorite snook (and other species around here) rig most of the time is an 8’ 8-15 rated rod with a 3000 reel. FWIW. 15 lb braid.

@lophon just depends what you want to catch. Some people are only interested in medium+ snooks over 35”, tarpon, gag etc not really into the smaller stuff and traditional flats style fishing. Think red green just mean googs always run the dinky outfits and a way to tell who catches big is from their gear

Profile and swimming pattern are far more important than color. Pink, chartruse, red/white among a bunch of other unnatural colors are very productive snook lures. When I was younger the Maverick Golden Eyes in yellow or Chicken Scratch were one of my favorite lures, and have caught hundreds of snook on them. So it will work fine if you spend your time patterning the snook and figuring out when they want that profile vs. putting too much emphasis on the color.

Far as the rest of the convo, figure out what works for you. My biggest snook this last year, 44" was taken on 10lb braid and 20lb leader testing a buddies 8-17 on a 3k Stella. Granted experience plays a huge factor for finesse fishing around structure, overkill isn't always needed.  We have been overtaken by 11' surf rods and 10k reels here at Sebastian by transplants snook fishing because they follow perpetuated bs, oblivious that they are the googans.