Chicken Scratch color plug for snook/tarpon

Rate this topic

DarterMan

Just now, John P said:

I haven't used the color,but I will say snook seem to have a lot of the same instincts for feeding as LMB,so I would certainly give the color a try.  I can't say the same for tarpon.

Thanks JohnB, I certainly will give it a shot.

I always thought that since the FL water is so much more clear than NY waters the snook would get too good of a look at our plugs and shy away from such unnatural colors such as chicken scratch.

<p><p></p></p>

I don't ususally fish the open beaches and stick to Mangroves or docks at low light levels.  Water in the backcountry is stained and not really that clear so colors may make the plug stand out and if the profile and movement is good I think you get reaction strikes.

If you are on the beaches with good lighting I would stick to white or other light colors with a little flash. I use Zman jerk shads with an offset hook. Texas rig.

5 hours ago, John P said:

I don't ususally fish the open beaches and stick to Mangroves or docks at low light levels.  Water in the backcountry is stained and not really that clear so colors may make the plug stand out and if the profile and movement is good I think you get reaction strikes.

If you are on the beaches with good lighting I would stick to white or other light colors with a little flash. I use Zman jerk shads with an offset hook. Texas rig.

Thanks again. I can see reaction strikes being more the norm in stained water as the fish can’t really get a good luck at your lure.

I haven’t fished any mangrove areas yet. I live right near the St. Lucie River which can be a little stained so I could see me using colorful lures (like chicken scratch, “parrot”, chartreuse etc).

I have a lot of “natural” stuff (white, silver, grey with flecks etc) so those might get more play in the open surf.

Edited by Bass2Snook

<p><p></p></p>

12 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

The color works great when the water isn't super clear. But when it's super clear they can be picky on anything. Jacks seem to like yellow too. Definitely use it . My favorite lure pattern for sure.

Thanks Jim. Aside from it being a great pattern would it be good on a Redfin, or another plug? I have SP Minnows and Hydro Minnows in this pattern too.

<p><p></p></p>

16 hours ago, Bunkerface said:

Just throw them.  You will be better off trying them because down here fishing info is hard to get. Too many people going out to catch a buzz and then report they didn't catch.  I've caught on 7" Bombers so I know the redfin's will work

I will add to this saying that the people in the know don't share their information. There's a lot of people that think they know but don't who will talk your ear right off. The majority of the fishing industry down here is the perpetration of googandry IMO. 

Edited by RedGreen

On 9/10/2021 at 2:25 PM, RedGreen said:

I will add to this saying that the people in the know don't share their information. There's a lot of people that think they know but don't who will talk your ear right off. The majority of the fishing industry down here is the perpetration of googandry IMO. 

Funny you mentioned that. In all the years I've surf casted on Long Island it was almost considered "customary" for other fisherman to just walk past you on the beach while walking to/from a spot. You usually don't say a word to each other. If you say hello you might get a brief "hey" or nothing at all.

Even when fishing with others in a tight lineup you usually don't talk much if at all.

Down here, one of the first things I realized was people fishing next to you are very engaging and open. Sure, many of them are younger guys or even kids who just want to blab and brag, but I've met a few who seemed like really honest and open fellows who are more than willing to "show you the ropes."

I started fishing locally with someone who has been snook fishing my local waters for decades. Discussions we've had are more serious and not the usual "you should have been here yesterday, we killed 'em" or "I caught a million fish at XY last night" (why isn't he there again LOL).

But like you said I have also come across people who just like to talk endlessly.

<p><p></p></p>

On 9/10/2021 at 2:39 PM, John P said:

Only a close friends share info and I'm sure not ALL the info.  Need to figure out stuff on your own especially in  the swamp. It's about the same with  striper fishing in the NE. Don't believe what you hear,it's probably wrong.

True, true. I do have a long way to go but I'm gradually figuring s**t out down here. It's actually kind of fun to learn new things in a new place, it keeps the hunt more interesting.

<p><p></p></p>