The Gimp

Spinner Rod lure limits

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I got this inexpensive digital scale online for the purpose of weighing my lures, bucktails and metals. Trying to match the lures to the lure limits printed on the rod.

So my question is where is the danger zone of too heavy a lure?

For instance is it safe to go a little bit heavier say 2.0 for a rod that is maxed at 1.5 without it snapping?

I'm thinking maybe the rod makers understate the max weight to avoid returns. Don't want to find out with a snapped rod, though.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by The Gimp

I never exceed the rated limit. The only rod I have ever broken, since 1978, was a ZZiplex Primo Synchro, because I caught the sand spike while executing a pendulum cast. 

53 mins ago, The Gimp said:

I got this inexpensive digital scale online for the purpose of weighing my lures, bucktails and metals. Trying to match the lures to the lure limits printed on the rod.

So my question is where is the danger zone of too heavy a lure?

For instance is it safe to go a little bit heavier say 2.0 for a rod that is maxed at 1.5 without it snapping?

I'm thinking maybe the rod makers understate the max weight to avoid returns. Don't want to find out with a snapped rod, though.

Thanks in advance.

It depends ime.

I have rods that can easily throw heavier, and I have rods that dont feel right casting their max.

Looking forward to a few more knowledgable rod builders responses though.  So, "tag".

6 mins ago, 55555s said:

It depends ime.

I have rods that can easily throw heavier, and I have rods that dont feel right casting their max.

Looking forward to a few more knowledgable rod builders responses though.  So, "tag".

Same here.    I've got one rod that's rated to 1oz.  I throw 1 1/2oz with ease. Have thrown 2oz. But its more of a lob.   Another rod thats also rated to 1oz and it'll toss 3oz. 

And vice versa.  Have a rod rated to 5oz. But I feel it should be 4oz. 

OP. Only way to know is to throw.    Grab a handful of weights and start casting.   As soon as your cast goes from something thrown from a slingshot to a granny ball, thats your limit.   

I used to take the printed ratings as gospel, but someone here wisely told me "Screw the ratings! Get out there and find out first hand."

I try to stay as close to the listed weight as possible but will sometimes go over. Today I was casting a 1.4oz jig on a rod rated to 1.25oz, I just toned down the cast a bit and the rod felt great. 

9 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I never exceed the rated limit. The only rod I have ever broken, since 1978, was a ZZiplex Primo Synchro, because I caught the sand spike while executing a pendulum cast. 

.....now that's funny.

the rods are mas produced,the nomber is as protection for company who make them and marketing,they try to sell more rods.

for me that is refrence nomber ,mean nothing.if i like to know i have to castdefren weight to find maximum weight for each rod.

i use medium light 7' rating for max 1/2 oz,i can cast 1.1/2 oz confortably,and i lift 7 lb fish 10' high on rock.you have to swing that not jurk that or you brake rod.

the rod action should be from how much weight that rod can hold before brakeing.in % it will be more acured.

what you expect ? you have to do everything yourself.

I have an old s-glass salmon rod that’s rated up to an ounce I’ll throw 5 on it with confidence, granted it more of loading the rod and then lobbing it very very hard.

my dark matter OB (which i really like) Starts to make me worry at about 2 and I think it is rated 1-3oz

In my opinion most rod companies are highly in-accurate in their rod ratings.

Only good way to rate them is to actually use them in real life.......or read reviews from people who have used them and whose opinion you trust

For rods with enough fiberglass in them weight ratings are definitely for practicality sake and not because they are worried you will break them.
For carbon rods it depends on how they designed it. If the rod was designed to maximize weight savings and sensitivity going outside their expected line and lure rating can break your rod.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

.....now that's funny.

No...actually, it is pretty dangerous - Tip section broke violently enough that the mono shock leader almost sliced my ear.  The pendulum cast was in full pre-release motion when the sinker caught the sand spike to my right and behind me about 20 feet - It was my fault, because I misjudged the distance relative to my sinker drop from the tip (13ft rod +10ft drop).  Fortunately, my 4-runner was parked about 30ft to my left or I would have been digging the sinker out of the body panel.

Edited by FlatWing

I can’t see a half oz making a difference. That said few rods throw the max rating very well. Some not even close. 

With regard to lures in general. A 3oz tin and a 3 oz pencil while weighing the same, put an unequal amount of strain a a rod when casting them hard. You should take overall lure size into consideration too.

5 hours ago, FlatWing said:

No...actually, it is pretty dangerous - Tip section broke violently enough that the mono shock leader almost sliced my ear.  The pendulum cast was in full pre-release motion when the sinker caught the sand spike to my right and behind me about 20 feet - It was my fault, because I misjudged the distance relative to my sinker drop from the tip (13ft rod +10ft drop).  Fortunately, my 4-runner was parked about 30ft to my left or I would have been digging the sinker out of the body panel.

LoL............

Just go by feel. Half an ounce shouldn’t make a difference. Don’t go bombing baits on your first try. Bounce your lure to see how the tip loads and cast a little harder each time. Fiberglass can take much more abuse than any graphite blank can as others have said.