JerseyJeb

Owner MUTU light circle hook help

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So a while back I bought some Owner MUTU light circle hooks on mail order and when I actually got them found out that they are huge. I would say the overall profile is about 3 sizes larger than a normal circle hook. So my question is can you still fish these targeting fish according to their advertised size or are they species specific for the likes of enormous mouthed fish like stripers and black sea bass ? My intuition is telling me they are species specific but maybe the large profile doesn't get in the way similar to how a a fish doesn't need to swallow the entirety of a long shank hook for it work ? 

Just an FYI, unfortunately there does not appear to any standard sizes for circle hooks between manufacturers and sometimes between different models from the same manufacturer. This makes buying online difficult unless you are already familiar with that particular model. 

25 mins ago, Fishjerk said:

Just an FYI, unfortunately there does not appear to any standard sizes for circle hooks between manufacturers and sometimes between different models from the same manufacturer. This makes buying online difficult unless you are already familiar with that particular model. 

This is true but for instance I have circle hooks from Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu, and Mustad that are different but are comparably within +/- 1 size of each other. These on other hand are quite different. 

It's possible you simply received a mispackaged set.

If the shape/color is correct - they might have put larger hooks in the wrong packaging.

From what I recall, the Mutu Lights were a little longer than Owner SSW circle hooks, but had a very similar point -> shank distance for the same size.

3 hours ago, Fishjerk said:

That applies to all hooks, not just circle hooks.  There are no standards.

Its a thinner wire circle. You can use upwards of a 9/0 and most fish here in the NE can inhale it.  Mutu lights are a little wider gap then SSW circles.  They are harder to get  bunker cut on, they resemble a kahle hook profile a bit.  They hookup a little tiny bit easier from what i notice over the years.

5 hours ago, olvart said:

What size did you order and how do you intend to use them?

I got size 10 and 8 in the hopes of having another "catch anything that bites" (kingfish, croaker, spot, puppy drum, white perch, snapper blue, etc) size hook something like a Gamakatsu size 8 octo circle or owner 6 mosquito. I might just end using it for bullhead and channel cat fishing in freshwater.

#4 Mutus work great for sea mullet, spot, pompano and little stuff in the surf. #2s, #1s and #1/0 all work too if you are running larger fleas or baits or just want a bigger hook. 

I pulled a #4 out of a huge pompano in the wash this weekend. Kind of wish I would have had a #1 or 1/0 for that fish for a little more bite instead of just a mouth skin hookup.

Did you purchase a #10 or 1/0?  That looks more like a 1/0.  What does the packaging say and how many were in the package?  You can use that size hook for everything you've listed although it's a tad bit large for Spot and Perch unless they are jumbos.  If you're targeting fish in the 12" range I would use a 2/0 or 3/0 mutu light hook size.  I've caught 10"-16" Kingfish, Croakers, Blues on 4/0 mutu light hooks on cut bait.  If it's hungry it's going to eat it.  I prefer Owner hooks and have had better luck with them but if you need something with a larger gap that's easier to put a piece of cut bait on, try Gamakatsu Octopus Inline Circle hooks.  

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Espresso said:

Did you purchase a #10 or 1/0?  That looks more like a 1/0.  What does the packaging say and how many were in the package?  You can use that size hook for everything you've listed although it's a tad bit large for Spot and Perch unless they are jumbos.  If you're targeting fish in the 12" range I would use a 2/0 or 3/0 mutu light hook size.  I've caught 10"-16" Kingfish, Croakers, Blues on 4/0 mutu light hooks on cut bait.  If it's hungry it's going to eat it.  I prefer Owner hooks and have had better luck with them but if you need something with a larger gap that's easier to put a piece of cut bait on, try Gamakatsu Octopus Inline Circle hooks.  

image.jpg

It's the correct size / model number / qty / etc, I have the size 8's too and they are just slightly larger than the 10's. Thanks for the info.