Surreal

How slow is a slow retrieve?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2021 at 9:12 AM, Oldroe said:

Reel slow is just a cadence. You are looking for that strike cadence.

Its cadence to get bite.

I would agree with this. Sometimes they want it fast, somerimes slow, sometimes just floating with the current....dead sticked....and all variables in between.

Often advise is not practical and most books offer generic subjective advise which is only a starting point.

I am friends with an angler who presents his needles fast.....all the time....and every season he has fish to 50" to show for it.

Consider a plug as a bait puppet. Move it in different ways to draw a strike. 

On more than one occasion i have dead sticked darters on top and v waked them like a redfin and have caught fish. Use what you have in your bag different ways until you get the nod.

I appreciate all the replies. I guess what still gets me is every “YouTuber” I watch seems to either crank the hell out of the reel or reel moderately fast. I’ve yet to ever see one reeling as slow as people are describing on here. 

13 hours ago, Surreal said:

I appreciate all the replies. I guess what still gets me is every “YouTuber” I watch seems to either crank the hell out of the reel or reel moderately fast. I’ve yet to ever see one reeling as slow as people are describing on here. 

I can see that fishing in the daytime but at night time it's no way!.

HH

15 hours ago, Surreal said:

Because most youtubers aren't fishing.  Theyre desperately creating content, running from spot to spot and bite to bite for aggressive fish.

Unless youre willing to do that with a big network, watch some bait swimming around the next time you see it. How slow does it move?

On 9/10/2021 at 8:36 AM, Oldroe said:

By taking your pointer finger and turn your handle you are reducing your gear ratio.

The close to shaft the lower gear ratio.v

No that is not correct.  One full 360 turn is still the same.  You just need more force to make the turn because you have less leverage

No you turn your finger 1 full turn  on 4-1 spinning close to stem it will be 1-4th of the distance. There for you are reeling your bait 300% slower than 4-1.

18 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

No that is not correct.  One full 360 turn is still the same.  You just need more force to make the turn because you have less leverage

3 hours ago, Oldroe said:

No you turn your finger 1 full turn  on 4-1 spinning close to stem it will be 1-4th of the distance. There for you are reeling your bait 300% slower than 4-1.

Oh man. The gear ratio is a relation of the gears. The handle is just a lever to turn those gears. Handle length affects how easy it is to turn the gears not the gear ratio. And a shorter handle would be faster because the end of the lever has to travel a shorter distance to rotate the gear once. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

56 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Oh man. The gear ratio is a relation of the gears. The handle is just a lever to turn those gears. Handle length affects how easy it is to turn the gears not the gear ratio. And a shorter handle would be faster because the end of the lever has to travel a shorter distance to rotate the gear once. 

Your finger position alone does not effect the retrieve rate.

Positioning your finger closer to the rotation axis requires more effort on your part, thus if you don't increase that effort, the rotation MAY decrease. Some form of resistance required for this statement.

Edited by chisler

On 8/27/2021 at 5:45 PM, adams54 said:

Slow means as slow as you can go while still maintaining contact

Perfect response no need to over complicate it 

K.I.S.S. 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, Oldroe said:

No

You will know what a slow retrieve is when you are there reeling as slow as possible wondering why you are doing this bored out of your mind lol

But mostly just fish the current and almost dead stick it and let the current do the work for you

Make a 1/4 turn, go make a coffee

Make another 1/4 turn, drink your coffee.

Make another 1/4 turn start eating cake with your coffee.

Make another 1/4 turn, finish the coffee

Make another 1/4 turn , oops that cake is gone

Make another 1/4 turn, wash your coffee cup

Make another 1/4 turn

It's time to go home.