BrianBM

The current luxest luxe fly reel?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am NOT shopping. But I am mildly curious.

Jack Charlton has passed, and AFAIK Mako reels are not in production. What are the really cool kids using to chase records now?

IGFA's annual "World Record Game Fish" book/mag lists the brands used by fly anglers to set records for the previous year.  The 2021 edition has for saltwater - Abel 8. 3-Tand 7, Mako 5, Tibor 3, Charlton 2; and for freshwater Abel 25, Hatch 5, Lamson 5, Redington 4, Tibor 4. 

Those submitting records can skew the results because it's a small universe of fly anglers. Meredith McCord set a huge pile of records in 2020 all caught on Abel reels so this ups the tally toward Able. In other years, the Arostegui family set many records and used Tibors. From the prior ten-year time frame Tibor and Abel have the most total records and are generally the leaders.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Too expensive for me, but the Charlton’s and Mako’s for saltwater fishing and Ids Schukken (The Netherlands) handmade titanium with PEI reels (and many others...) for freshwater are IMO the best.

Edited by dixie56

You have to consider Seiglers for saltwater and definitely for big game.  School bus stopping drag nothing comes close.  

22 hours ago, BWalsh said:

You have to consider Seiglers for saltwater and definitely for big game.  School bus stopping drag nothing comes close.  

I see these listed on SW Edge's site, but don't know anything about them other than they are about twice the price of a Hatch or Nautilus (NV-G series)

On 9/1/2021 at 6:09 PM, BWalsh said:

Why would you want a "school bus stopping drag"? I thought, by definition, "drag" equals slowing the flow of backing and line to control it, not "brake" it to ultimately stop it - which, will ironically, cause something to break!

On 9/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, Dave Peros said:

Why would you want a "school bus stopping drag"? I thought, by definition, "drag" equals slowing the flow of backing and line to control it, not "brake" it to ultimately stop it - which, will ironically, cause something to break!

You don't want school bus dropping drag...plus that's a great exaggeration, I have spinning and conventional reels with a lot more drag than a Siegler fly reel...as far as I know Siegler reels claim to fame isn't stopping power but rather the lever drag which the Mako and Charlton reels accomplish via 330 degree drag adjustment knob. You want the ability to apply and adjust a smooth drag that can withstand heat without fade.