Killian

Ultra Light Spinning Reel?

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Daiwa QZ750 is a little dandy, very smooth, but I have a Okuma Inspira SX20B (blue) that is actually lighter and holds more line.

We have a string of six or seven ponds about an hour away that are just perfect for ultralight gear. Depending on the reel/rod, I’m running either 4lb or 6lb Stren, usually yellow so my old eyes can see it. Fun, fun, fun……

Edited by Otony

Posted (edited) · Report post

This old school UL has been my go to reel for trout this year, Shimano Baitrunner 150. So easy to fish trout magnets in the current using the baitrunner option, just works for me.

IMG_2807.jpg.0307bc076ae4a26a9eda9b3cbe183243.jpgIMG_2808.jpg.8b4a3a77217ce6b816e3392d1952e3f5.jpg

Edited by Slick706

On 11/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, DougK said:

in the 70s the Mitchell 308 was my dream UL reel, talked myself into getting one as a Xmas present.. 

It's still my dream UL reel ;-) 

With the Planamatic gearing, it lays braid beautifully. 

river sm sm.jpg

Do you have any idea how the 308 compares in size to the 304? I’m currently fixing up a 304 that balances perfectly on a 4’6” Daiwa glass rod I’m also currently fixing up. Seems like it could be an UL match made for each other. 

On 8/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, Killian said:

I'm a big fan of the Pflueger President Spinning Reel (20). Never had much of an issue with them. 

I'm just looking to see what other fisher peoples favorites are. 

Tight Lines and Be SAFE!!

Can't go wrong with a Penn battle. I have several in different sizes. No issues

14 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

Do you have any idea how the 308 compares in size to the 304? I’m currently fixing up a 304 that balances perfectly on a 4’6” Daiwa glass rod I’m also currently fixing up. Seems like it could be an UL match made for each other. 

308 was smaller.  It was also better made, the 304 originally being released at a lower price point,.

17 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

308 is a newer design and slightly smaller I think. The 304 used to have planamatic gearing but like the 308, at some point that was discontinued to save money.. early to mid 50s had the Planamatic, before and after that did not. 
The 304 came with a shallow spool for UL lines, also like the 308. So it's definitely in the game for UL.. should be a fine little outfit, nice. 

Mitchell has a 310 Pro. Anyone have an opinion about it for an 7' ultra light, Their 308 Pro is great on my Medium Light.

26 mins ago, Killian said:

Mitchell has a 310 Pro. Anyone have an opinion about it for an 7' ultra light, Their 308 Pro is great on my Medium Light.

308 Pro is a great reel.  Not many out there.  I wasn't aware of a 310 Pro.

Cabela's has one on their web site. Haven't had the time to get to a store to get it in my hands yet. to get a feel of it.

5 hours ago, Killian said:

I’ve got a 308XE that I picked up about ten years ago. Unbelievably smooth, another nice FW reel

The problem with the new Mitchell stuff is none of it stays in their lineup for more than 2 or 3 years before it is changed or superseded. Sad to see an old school name like that reduced to what fits their price point out of the Chinese OEM catalogs.

As far as a reel that has been around awhile, I’m still rocking a Daiwa BG10 after all these years. Stone cold simple, decently smooth (not buttah, but okay), and rugged. Again, my FW go-to, it’s lined with Stren

For my infrequent trips to western NC to fish for trout I bought a Daiwa Fuego 1000 and paired it with a UL Fenwick Eagle rod.  It has handled the few trout and smallmouth bass I have caught with it on my last trip.  The Fuego seems to be easy to find for about $80 plus tax.  I have fished a Fuego 2500 extensively and think they are well made enough to last in FW use.  OH

On 11/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, Otony said:

Daiwa QZ750 is a little dandy, very smooth, but I have a Okuma Inspira SX20B (blue) that is actually lighter and holds more line.

We have a string of six or seven ponds about an hour away that are just perfect for ultralight gear. Depending on the reel/rod, I’m running either 4lb or 6lb Stren, usually yellow so my old eyes can see it. Fun, fun, fun……

I just picked up a QZ750 and do agree on it being a sweet reel.  It is a true ultralight being about the same size as the as the old Spirex 500.

Look forward to hitting the brook with it in the spring.

Thanks for the heads up.

Often referred to as the original ultra light reel---Alcedo Micron.

Imported from Italy circa 1960.

Still have one. Fantastic little reel for fresh water fish. Still smooth as silk.