Killian

Ultra Light Spinning Reel?

75 posts in this topic

I see , I read that wrong .  I like the idea of braid, it’s just those tiny leader knots. No way do I want to try an FG with that small of line . My eyes can’t do it . 

35 mins ago, justafisher said:

I see , I read that wrong .  I like the idea of braid, it’s just those tiny leader knots. No way do I want to try an FG with that small of line . My eyes can’t do it . 

The FG isn't an appropriate knot for light connections. I prefer the improved bristol, but an Albright/Alberto/uni to uni are fine for light braid. Most ultra light reels have an oscillation pattern that can make light braid problematic. Some don't even have an instant anti reverse. 

12 hours ago, justafisher said:

How do you like the 4lb mono on that vanford 500? I just picked up a Tenryu Ray Ul and can’t decide between the vanford 500 or 1000. I will be using 4lb mono . 

I too, am debating the 500 or the 1000 (Probably go with the 2000 over the 1000 as its the same reel with a bigger spool) Vanford... I have a 3000, and probably have more use for the 2000 than the 500... But I really like the idea of that little reel, and I can find it in stock at BPS (where I have a butt load of gift cards), but not the 2000...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Local66 said:

The FG isn't an appropriate knot for light connections. I prefer the improved bristol, but an Albright/Alberto/uni to uni are fine for light braid. Most ultra light reels have an oscillation pattern that can make light braid problematic. Some don't even have an instant anti reverse. 

looks like im not the only one facing problem tying FG knot on fine braid.. the coil doesnt really stack up and tends to overlay one another. Im using albright on light braid and the best part, just 2-3mins to tie. save alot of time on water and it really hold.

how much line of 6lbs did u put? i think i will get that 500 size, always like small equipment.

Edited by Tourstage

12 hours ago, Tourstage said:

looks like im not the only one facing problem tying FG knot on fine braid.. the coil doesnt really stack up and tends to overlay one another. Im using albright on light braid and the best part, just 2-3mins to tie. save alot of time on water and it really hold.

how much line of 6lbs did u put? i think i will get that 500 size, always like small equipment.

You could absolutely tie an FG in light braid, if you were using a heavy enough leader. I personally wouldn't, but it could be done. I'm not 100% sure how much braid I got on that little thing. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 125yds. I've had a spool of 4lb invisibraid on backorder for over a year now. I'm not using it for hard running fish, I use it when I have to to throw tiny things a good distance. Spanish mackerel, pompano, look downs, the odd ladyfish is about as brave as I get with this thing. The rod is built from the top 3 sections of a sage fly rod, there's no muscle there.

in the 70s the Mitchell 308 was my dream UL reel, talked myself into getting one as a Xmas present.. 

It's still my dream UL reel ;-) 

With the Planamatic gearing, it lays braid beautifully. 

river sm sm.jpg

Edited by DougK

1 hour ago, DougK said:

in the 70s the Mitchell 308 was my dream UL reel, talked myself into getting one as a Xmas present.. 

It's still my dream UL reel ;-) 

With the Planamatic gearing, it lays braid beautifully. 

river sm sm.jpg

Those were the days.  Still have my first two French made 308's with planomatic gearing conversion.  Even have one of those 308 Pro's.  Thought it was kind of expensive at the time.  Wonder what they're going for these days.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:56 PM, ne_dan said:

Cabelas has the last gen President XT size for $50 right now

I've seen that I think.  There's the Pres. XT for ~$80 and the XT limited edition for ~$50.  I don't quite understand it.  Only difference I see is paint job and handle knob.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:07 PM, DMacLeod said:

Shimano used to make a Spirex 500 years ago.  That was a reel I used after fishing with the 716.   

This one? I believe might be the 1st Shimano Spirex 500 they introduced maybe the early 80s? Original spool has 4# mono and the black one 2lb mono. Was going to spool the 3rd with 4# fireline and use it for trout fishing at some point. 

IMG_2801.jpg.3386e3558ca5e93ad738424d92f52a6d.jpgIMG_2802.jpg.821a8f63712daa32f3a857c8de812dac.jpg 

Edited by Slick706

2 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I've seen that I think.  There's the Pres. XT for ~$80 and the XT limited edition for ~$50.  I don't quite understand it.  Only difference I see is paint job and handle knob.

Just picked up a XT Limited edition for another kayak outfit . Pairing it with Fenwick HMX . My last trip out my Shimano Nexave was feeling a little tight , seems to be common issue , saw it might be related to a swollen oil ring from moisture. It loosened up since while sitting in dry basement. Overall impressed with the Nexave too , I had ordered a 1000 size which Dicks had on clearance for $30 but after placing order they when out of stock so I got the XT from Cabelas instead.

6 hours ago, Slick706 said:

This one? I believe might be the 1st Shimano Spirex 500 they introduced maybe the early 80s? Original spool has 4# mono and the black one 2lb mono. Was going to spool the 3rd with 4# fireline and use it for trout fishing at some point. 

IMG_2801.jpg.3386e3558ca5e93ad738424d92f52a6d.jpgIMG_2802.jpg.821a8f63712daa32f3a857c8de812dac.jpg 

That’s the one.   Nothing fancy, just an all business ultra light.

Hard to find now as most were abused.

Nice reel

4 hours ago, connman said:

Just picked up a XT Limited edition for another kayak outfit . Pairing it with Fenwick HMX . My last trip out my Shimano Nexave was feeling a little tight , seems to be common issue , saw it might be related to a swollen oil ring from moisture. It loosened up since while sitting in dry basement. Overall impressed with the Nexave too , I had ordered a 1000 size which Dicks had on clearance for $30 but after placing order they when out of stock so I got the XT from Cabelas instead.

I have an older model Nexave and it is one of the clunkiest reels I own.  I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it just feels very unrefined.  Maybe a one-off, but that thing is janky.  I think it replaced the Solstace, which I also have and I like better.  Even though now the Solstace is starting to tighten up in the rain.

Edited by Skunkoff

Good to see old Phillipson rod and Mitchell 308 used by Bass11, it's been a long time since I held one of those DAM Quick reels also, probably 1975, got transferred to Petersburg, AK while in the Coast Guard and my Fenwick FS83 and DAM reel never showed, had to fish my yellow Wright McGill and Cardinal 4 instead for salmon in the streams. Couldn't afford AK prices for anything but terminal tackle with a new baby boy.

Edited by spoonplugger1

20 mins ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Good to see old Phillipson rod and Mitchell 308 used by Bass11, it's been a long time since I held one of those DAM Quick reels also, probably 1975, got transferred to Petersburg, AK while in the Coast Guard and my Fenwick FS83 and DAM reel never showed, had to fish my yellow Wright McGill and Cardinal 4 instead for salmon in the streams. Couldn't afford AK prices for anything but terminal tackle with a new baby boy.

Those Quick 110N's put a smile on my face.  A little on the heavier side for ultralight, but I still use 'em to this day for light plastic w/ 4 lb mono for finesse bass fishing.  Smooth and built like tanks.  Something about Teutonic engineering just works.