Killian

Ultra Light Spinning Reel?

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not UL, but I am thinking of picking up a Pflueger President 25 or 30 to replace an old Shimano Solstace 2500 that's gone clunky and sticky.

Those Pfluegers get really great reviews for the most part.  People on FW forums rave about them.

Edited by Skunkoff

14 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Not UL, but I am thinking of picking up a Pflueger President 25 or 30 to replace an old Shimano Solstace 2500 that's gone clunky and sticky.

Those Pfluegers get really great reviews for the most part.  People on FW forums rave about them.

Cabelas has the last gen President XT size for $50 right now

A 1000 reel is a walleye reel, not an ultralight reel, just because a company quits making an ultralight reel doesn't make the next smallest reel an ultralight, doesn't work with rods, so it don't work here either. My Cardinal 3 I think held around 160 yds of 8 lb. line, or more, it's a premier steelhead reel, not an ultralight reel, if weight alone defined an ultralight than I guess you can't own a glass rod because they weigh more, and yet I have been fishing a Fenwick FS61 55+ years, and a FS53 for 50 years, long before anyone knew what a graphite rod was and no one had ever heard of Shimano, Diawa, etc. They had Mitchell 308s for decades, none of the new ones last that long, some of my buddies are on their second, or third Stradic in 10 years, or less, my Diawa Tournment SS  700 & 1300 were just getting broke in the same time. My Penn 420SS went for decades, in saltwater, fishing searun cutthroat, flounder, etc.

Back in the 70s I fished one of these for trout in Maine.    The one in picture isn't the one I fished back then but is one I like to take out now.

IMG_0279.jpeg

3 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Back in the 70s I fished one of these for trout in Maine.    The one in picture isn't the one I fished back then but is one I like to take out now.

IMG_0279.jpeg

What size is that?

33 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

What size is that?

Penn 716 and Fenwick 140. (4'-6"). Works great chasing trout in the small brooks.

12 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Penn 716 and Fenwick 140. (4'-6"). Works great chasing trout in the small brooks.

Nice!  I've been wanting a 716. Have a 714z so it's more of a want than need. 

If you're talking about an actual ultra-light (smaller than a 1k), I can't think of a reason why it would matter if you choose one reel over the next. Neglect is the only thing that would kill one, my alcedo micron belonged to my grandfather before me, and it's still going strong. These days I like my little shimanos, and 6lb braid has replaced the 4lb mono, but I'm still having the same fun. I use this little guy for throwing 1/8oz gold kastmasters at pompano and retention pond bass, it's been a great little rig.

IMG_20210223_174658050.jpg

1 hour ago, Local66 said:

If you're talking about an actual ultra-light (smaller than a 1k), I can't think of a reason why it would matter if you choose one reel over the next. Neglect is the only thing that would kill one, my alcedo micron belonged to my grandfather before me, and it's still going strong. These days I like my little shimanos, and 6lb braid has replaced the 4lb mono, but I'm still having the same fun. I use this little guy for throwing 1/8oz gold kastmasters at pompano and retention pond bass, it's been a great little rig.

IMG_20210223_174658050.jpg

Dumb question.  U use a leader with braid in freshwater?  If so, whats your method of connection for leader to line?

38 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Dumb question.  U use a leader with braid in freshwater?  If so, whats your method of connection for leader to line?

I fish all kinds of fresh water. Everything from crappie to Quebecoise musky. I always use a leader. Off the water with proper light, I use a PR knot. For lighter stuff and connections tied on the water, I use a triple surgeon's loop to an improved bristol.

20191002_205521.jpg

6 hours ago, Local66 said:

How do you like the 4lb mono on that vanford 500? I just picked up a Tenryu Ray Ul and can’t decide between the vanford 500 or 1000. I will be using 4lb mono . 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, justafisher said:

How do you like the 4lb mono on that vanford 500? I just picked up a Tenryu Ray Ul and can’t decide between the vanford 500 or 1000. I will be using 4lb mono . 

That's 6lb suffix 832 on the little vanford.

Edited by Local66