Killian

Ultra Light Spinning Reel?

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have been using the higher end fluegers and abu spinners 

Revo mgx and Revo inshore

Plunger patriarch

I have really sweet small Diana spinner but cannot remember which one.  Will look

I usually stay away from the Shimano reels.  I am not happy with the drag systems 

Edited by Captain Ahab

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I have been using the higher end fluegers and abu spinners 

Revo mgx and Revo inshore

Plunger patriarch

I have really sweet small Diana spinner but cannot remember which one.  Will look

I usually stay away from the Shimano reels.  I am not happy with the drag systems 

I never liked Shimano spinning reels with the rear drag system. The front drags are excellent. You probably used the rear drag reels which is why you don’t like them.

24 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I never liked Shimano spinning reels with the rear drag system. The front drags are excellent. You probably used the rear drag reels which is why you don’t like them.

No all front drag.  The only one I still use is a goosa but even that I upgraded to carbon fiber

Just my preference I know lots of others that love them and they catch fish just fine.

I lost a really nice fish when the drag stuck on a Shimano and that turned me off

I have an Orvis 50a that I accidentally ruined. I bought it when I was in high school in the 1960s. Factory manual pick up.

A few years ago I used it in the salt once, forgot to wash it. Next spring it was junk, solid rust.  I loved that reel.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:52 AM, 55555s said:

On rods for which I dont want (cant) hang a $250 reel, I use and like:

Pfleuger President

Shimano Sienna

Daiwa Regal LT

Other thoughts...

I like the pfluegers, they are an all time great  bang for buck when they are on sale.  They used to go on sale for $39 regularly.  Not as much anymore. 

While the stradic is a fine reel, its not really in the same category as the President, being 3-4 times the price.   I have kids, and when you factor in a couple rods per person for various uses, thats a lot of reels.  8 stradics just isnt going to happen, nor do I feel they are warranted for pulling in sub 3lb fish.  YMMV.  

I dont like the new model Symetre as much as the older one, and dont see / notice any advantage of the Symetre or Sahara  over the Sienna.  The Sienna is a terrific little inexpensive but quality reel.  

I like the Pfleuger Purist's partial metal frame for its lack of any flex, but its discontinued.  

The Sienna 1000 is my current ultralight reel and it really is solid for the price. I also really like the Sedona. I have a 2500 but looking for a 1000. Twice the price of the Sienna but we’re still talking well under $100. Also feels noticeably smoother to me. Can’t go wrong with either. 

Any of the 750 size Shimanos.  I have about a half dozen of them, at least one of each model.  I still buy them when they pop up reasonably on the auction site.

I run a pflueger patriarch 3500 and have a 2500xt,,,,,,,:) i just like the 3500 better because line capacity,,,,:eek: if you get hung up a lot on the river,,,it's not a problem 300yds of line goes Twice,,,,,the 2500 some line left over and you got to change it more often and the weight of the reels not much different,,,,,,,:laugh: yes they are light and have the drag and i have been using my 3500 for 7years,,,,,,:p but servicing them is a little bit more difficult and yes you got to replace the bail spring every year that's not that hard,,,,,:) maybe something out there is better but it works for me perfectly and you never know what's going to bite so be ready for everything on a ultra light,,,,,,,,:D

20210920_223631.jpg

20210913_161521.jpg

20210114_181202.jpg

20181014_224803.jpg

On 8/26/2021 at 7:31 PM, Killian said:

I'm a big fan of the Pflueger President Spinning Reel (20). Never had much of an issue with them. 

I'm just looking to see what other fisher peoples favorites are. 

Tight Lines and Be SAFE!!

I have that same reel. It's on a little Fenwick HMG 4' 6" ultralight and I've had that set-up for many years now. I don't use it much anymore, I keep it just because I've had it so long. I've had a bunch of Pfluegers and still have some, but the bail-spring issue caused me to start exploring some other reel options and once I tried the Stradic 1000, that became my all-time favorite. I destroyed it once so far but that wasn't the reels fault. Sent it back to Shimano and they sent me a replacement. This past spring I bought a Penn Conflict 1000 so now I have good comparison. Might be hard going forward now to decide which of those 2 is my favorite. 

11 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

The Sienna 1000 is my current ultralight reel and it really is solid for the price. I also really like the Sedona. I have a 2500 but looking for a 1000. Twice the price of the Sienna but we’re still talking well under $100. Also feels noticeably smoother to me. Can’t go wrong with either. 

I have the Sedona 1000, and really like it for the price.... I've had several different Sedonas and they are great reels... Right now I'm kinda on a quest to get a couple more Vanfords (I have the 3000) in the smaller sizes (2000 and 500)...

Butch

i love my stradics, but the pflueger president option is way cheaper.  money to burn?  penn clash ii 1000.  i have a 2500 and love it.  but... in general, i am a penn guy.