Killian

Ultra Light Spinning Reel?

75 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of the Pflueger President Spinning Reel (20). Never had much of an issue with them. 

I'm just looking to see what other fisher peoples favorites are. 

Tight Lines and Be SAFE!!

2 hours ago, Inshore said:

Shimano Vanquish C2000S…..

Imagine going from a flooger to a Vanquish lol...

May I suggest a more reasonable step of Vanford 1000? 

Bail springs are the weak link on those Pfluegers. The best reel for the money is a Stradic. You can’t go wrong with Shimano. I also have a few Okuma Aveons that are really good. I got them really cheap over 10 years ago and they operate flawlessly. They even came with 2 spools, one shallow and one deep. I find that to be very useful. I wish more reels had that option.

7 hours ago, MikeK said:

Hard to beat a shimano stradic.  If you want to save some $$ Saharas are good too.

6 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

Bail springs are the weak link on those Pfluegers. The best reel for the money is a Stradic. You can’t go wrong with Shimano. I also have a few Okuma Aveons that are really good. I got them really cheap over 10 years ago and they operate flawlessly. They even came with 2 spools, one shallow and one deep. I find that to be very useful. I wish more reels had that option.

I agree on the Stradics, but for light freshwater, I like the Symetre models. Kind of a mid range priced reel that'll perform really nice from my experience.

10 hours ago, Killian said:

I'm a big fan of the Pflueger President Spinning Reel (20). Never had much of an issue with them. 

I'm just looking to see what other fisher peoples favorites are. 

Tight Lines and Be SAFE!!

I had a Okuma UL combo that I gave to my son and wished I hadn't  so I bought a Pflueger UL (model?)here on the BST,  love it on a 5' noodle.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Alcedo Micron

Penn 716Z

Dam Quick 1000 or 1001

Diawa SS700

Diawa Mini Mite

Shimano Shara 500

Mitchell 310

Shakespeare Synergy 200

I love the small ones.

Edited by oc1

Definitely a stradic, no reason to spring for the 2021 model get a nice discount on a 2019 or 2020 edition.  I've heard great things about the Cardiff 1000 Ci4

Edited by CoffeeHangover

On rods for which I dont want (cant) hang a $250 reel, I use and like:

Pfleuger President

Shimano Sienna

Daiwa Regal LT

Other thoughts...

I like the pfluegers, they are an all time great  bang for buck when they are on sale.  They used to go on sale for $39 regularly.  Not as much anymore. 

While the stradic is a fine reel, its not really in the same category as the President, being 3-4 times the price.   I have kids, and when you factor in a couple rods per person for various uses, thats a lot of reels.  8 stradics just isnt going to happen, nor do I feel they are warranted for pulling in sub 3lb fish.  YMMV.  

I dont like the new model Symetre as much as the older one, and dont see / notice any advantage of the Symetre or Sahara  over the Sienna.  The Sienna is a terrific little inexpensive but quality reel.  

I like the Pfleuger Purist's partial metal frame for its lack of any flex, but its discontinued.  

Quantum UL  spinning:  2003 Energy PTI 15,(retired),  2020 Smoke S3.  

I've owned some cheaper reels and they don't last but a month or so before they start developing the grinding, and binding symptoms of over-use.  

The retired 2003 Energy sold me on the Smoke S3.  That  2003 reel caught 100's of carp, stocked trout, stocked salmon, brown trout, small pike.  The reel was never serviced with the exception of  placing some of the red horror on the bail, and reel knob.  

It finally gave way in the drag, and the clicker went south.  The setup would sit on the rod rack mounted to the truck bedrails for most of 7 months of the year, not covered. 

IF this Smoke gives this kind of service I will be thrilled.

Lot of mention about Stradic, while this is a fine reel (I have a bunch of em) it’s not the lightest. Since we’re talking UL here… LOL!

Stradic 1000 6.5oz ~$200

Vanford 1000 5.3oz ~$230

TwinPower 1000 6.2 ~$400

Vanquish C2000 5.1oz ~$475 (JDM reel)

Stella 1000 6.0oz ~$700

Another option from Shim is the new Ultegra FC.

I believe this reel is nothing more than an all Ci4, non MGL rotor Stradic…

Ultegra 1000 6.3oz ~$150

I use two of the older FB 1000 for panfish, very nice lil reels!

The Cardiff Ci4 (JDM reel) is the older tech I consider now obsolete due to all the “long stroke” spool reels. One would be better served I believe with the NEW Complex XR (JDM reel) at this price point…

Complex XR C2000 5.5oz ~$325

Symetre as a stand alone reel was replaced in the line up with Nasci.

The new Nasci looks nice for a loco drive, non long stroke spool reel, but not UL…

Nasci 1000 7.2oz ~$100

Just some food for thought…..

Edited by Inshore