Window Guys? A little help….

Rate this topic

passiton

We paid long cash for 6 custom milled Marvin wood windows.  Older house, nothing stock fits that wasn’t crappy looking, etc.  

First pic is the existing windows.  3 divided panes over a solid single pane.  New ones are the next pic.  I had my guy here several times, he sent me a stock pic of the general style (close to the original ones), we approved, and we got these things instead.  
We lost between 15 and 20 percent of the glass in the upper sash and they don’t match the rest of the house. Almost 2” wide vertical dividers to hide the wideassed channels between insulates panes, versus 3/4” on the original window dividers. This is not what we ordered. :(     It’s all made harder because these guys have done a lot of work for me and we’re on good terms, so I’m reluctant to get immediately dickish.  I also paid for all of them already and deeply regret that.   It’s going to be a solid 2k for new upper sashes. 

Two questions:

1.  Is the size of the channel between those divided upper panes variable?  Thinking it could have been much much narrower in line with our house style.  

2.  Not what I ordered, so who should I focus on pounding?  Is this the contractor for not specifying channel width, the lumber yard, or Marvin?  

B66B32A6-F728-49EA-B3D9-10F68722E611.jpeg

DFD7352E-C365-4831-9D50-0B8E32662680.jpeg

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

12 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

It's on yer window guy Ed,  for not showing you the true product. And on you for paying for them already.

My question is why did they use three separate glass panels on top? Why not just one with snap in "dividers" ?

Thanks Ben.  

We were trying to simulate as close as possible what is in the rest of the house.  It’s a cute place with character that we fell in love with.  

Any idea if those dividing channels could have come in a narrower width?  

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

I have seen them before, on jobs, much smaller mullions on six over one windows.. Replacement windows  to match hunnert + year old homes. But don't recall any makers. High end custom stuff. 

I did not mean to disparage you at all with my question. I understand completely the look you are going for, which is why I place the most blame on the window guy for basically, *******g you on it. 

I would have gone through the roof had I received them, expecting something else. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

All good and no offense taken.   I’m actually laughing.  I told my wife I was posting here and said “I bet Ben Lippen will comment.” :)

I appreciate the feedback. 

You mention he sent you a stock pic , close to the original. Do you still have the pic? Sit down with him and show him the pics, shame on him for not being extra careful on a custom order.  He should have reviewed all the dimensions with you both before placing the order. Even on an Anderson window all the dimensions are available for sash sizes and widths jambs etc.

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

Get your copy of the original order from the Marvin Store, or dealer the windows were ordered through. Then compare to what you signed off on with your contractor. Need to find out the sizing of the mullions. There are multiple sizes. Mistakes happen, often when the order is being made. Trust me. I had two Harvey windows in my shop for years until I finally found a home/garage to give them away to. As a contractor, it is the privilege of being in business and charging what we charge, and eat errors we make when they happen. As you stated, it is a couple of upper sashes only.... As for the loss of glass size, that is always the case with replacement windows... And honestly, there are no standard sized windows IMO.....

12 hours ago, nightfighter said:

What you should have are SDLs, or simulated divided lights. Not individual panes. 

SDL. That's the term that I couldn't think of last night. 

12 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Mistakes happen, often when the order is being made. Trust me. I had two Harvey windows in my shop for years until I finally found a home/garage to give them away to.

Amen to that. I also had two custom units ordered for a job, and a week after I confirmed the specs in an email from the company for them to start construction of them, the homeowner called me to cancel the order and job. Since it wasn't my mistake, she paid me for the windows. But I was stuck with them for years until I finally found a guy ( either on here or craigslist, cant remember ) to buy them for just a few bucks. They were like 3'9" x 3'0" or something, nine over nine double hungs. I just wanted them out of my shop. 

Thanks for the feedback here.  I called the lumberyard these were ordered through directly today and got the rep who is dealing with this with my contractor.  She said she questioned the order when she saw the mock-up picture after putting in the parameters, but he said go ahead with it.  

Hashing it out now.  6 friggin months for new upper sashes though.  

3 hours ago, passiton said:

Thanks for the feedback here.  I called the lumberyard these were ordered through directly today and got the rep who is dealing with this with my contractor.  She said she questioned the order when she saw the mock-up picture after putting in the parameters, but he said go ahead with it.  

Hashing it out now.  6 friggin months for new upper sashes though.  

Good. How it should be. Mistakes suck, but he has six months to make up for it in his own account. If he is good, he is busy. Tell him this wont hurt as much six months from now if he puts a little bit towards the error account every week.... Comes with the territory when you have your own business.

Last I had heard it was 19 weeks for Marvin windows. But I can see an additional five weeks for what factory views as a low priority order, even though you may disagree. They will eat some of this in their profit margin and contractor will work it off in his is my experience in these matters.

Edited by nightfighter

It’s getting sticky.  He wants to hold firm that we got what we ordered.  Uh uh……

I’ve done 150k in business with these guys in the past 5 years, with each job getting bigger.  4 office suites, home work, and a referral to someone for a commercial job that had to be 150k on its own.  Just handed them off to a major medical practice for large amounts of commercial work that will keep them working for a long time.   They’ll give.  I’m willing to pony up some of the difference for an honest mistake too, but he’s got to budge.