BlackLab1

Windknots on VR50 ?? None on Stradic 5000

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I get a ton of windknots on any reel I fish. It’s not the reel it’s me. Sometimes I over cast, and cause a wind knot, although thats pretty rare for me. Generally I get alot of wind knots from glide and twitch baits, because of an uneven retrieve causing slack in my line. Inappropriate line tension causes windknots. If I’m fishing a twitch bait, I’m getting wind knots, you sure it’s the reel? Or is there something your doing differently on the vr?

Posted (edited)

I hear what CallMeFish is saying about the type of lure you are using. Having said that, I fish a lot of spooks and that type of a thing, twitching and stuff, and the Shimanos I have do not throw any windknots. I will occasionally put a loop over my reel at night but usually I am checking the top of the spool after closing the bail. 

I really like Shimanos for this reason. Looking forward to getting the Saragosa SWA with its tilted reel foot.

Edited by TopStriperAngler

I have both of the reels mentioned and I’ll just say this boils down to the fact, that the Shimano Stradic FL 5000 is extraordinary in its line lay. It’s in the reel’s gearing and long cast spool design.

It’s  just phenomenally great in laying down GSP braid.

The VS VR50 is a more conventional spool design and requires a little more care & attention with the type / brand braid used. Like occasionally pinching the line on retrieve to get twists out.

With me wind knots occur under the following conditions:  I just install new braid AND I alternate between a heavier tin and lighter plug.  I can't resist doing a few more wraps when spooling....sort of like the "one more cast" thing.  In short, it's bonehead operator error which leads to over spooling.   At any rate, once I strip off some line, and it settles in, wind knots almost never happen no matter the plugs/tins.

As mentioned above, the line should wrap evenly on the spool and close attention should be given to the line before, during and after the cast.  Paying close attention does not require seeing it....this should be done by touch and be second nature.     

Windknots are usually not simply just due to the reel, but rather the combination of reel versus the guide layout. and that's why rod builders need to know the reel you are going to use before they custom build your rods. If your weapon is better paired with the stradic 5000, then stick with it. I have noticed that VR50 has a spool size of 3000 size shimanos. So a VR50 will be better paired with any rod has stripper guide less than or equal to 25mm. 

I have built a couple weapon jr. with 20mm stripper guide, and all of them were paired up with VR50s. never had a windknot issue. And Weapons with 30mm stripper guide generally do better with bigger spools like the VR150 or VS150.

Wow. Thanks for all of the replies!  I have read em all and I think I'm going to agree with tamd331, in that the reel spool/ Weapon guide size may the issue. . Also worth noting, I have had the VR50 respooled twice, line off re-spun on by my local tackle shop... After fishing, the line is loose and coned to the rear again. i stopped by there again yesterday and asked that the unspool it and stack the backing to make up the difference of depth on the front of the spool to make up for the cone shape.  They told me not to and suggest every 20-25 casts, to let the line out past casting distance and reel it in with a heavy plug on it for weight.... I think not.

I also ran 2- VS150's 20 years a go, never had this type of issue. The issue with them was rare and usually on windy days when I would somehow get line behind and under the spool, which was a real hoot in the middle of a blitz or night fishing. 

I'm going to try the VS50 on my wife's Weapon Jr and see if it it's better. The Stradic 5000 is going back on the Weapon.  

bc

15 mins ago, BlackLab1 said:

Wow. Thanks for all of the replies!  I have read em all and I think I'm going to agree with tamd331, in that the reel spool/ Weapon guide size may the issue. . Also worth noting, I have had the VR50 respooled twice, line off re-spun on by my local tackle shop... After fishing, the line is loose and coned to the rear again. i stopped by there again yesterday and asked that the unspool it and stack the backing to make up the difference of depth on the front of the spool to make up for the cone shape.  They told me not to and suggest every 20-25 casts, to let the line out past casting distance and reel it in with a heavy plug on it for weight.... I think not.

I also ran 2- VS150's 20 years a go, never had this type of issue. The issue with them was rare and usually on windy days when I would somehow get line behind and under the spool, which was a real hoot in the middle of a blitz or night fishing. 

I'm going to try the VS50 on my wife's Weapon Jr and see if it it's better. The Stradic 5000 is going back on the Weapon.  

bc

I'd sort out the uneven wrap before doing anything if it were me.  Good luck man!   

So I had a thought. What if , I grabbed my rod, walked across the street from my house, hooked my plug to the baseball field backstop chain fence, loosened my drag, and walked off a distance that removed the line from the spool till I felt the line lay was even.... Then turnaround, tighten the drag to a little more than I normally use to fish... Walk back to the plug, reeling, while keeping a good amount of tension on the line.  

The line "tightened" up on the spool and was a bit more level, not perfect but better... I decided to go to the boat and try it.. Wind blowing steady 10-13 mph from the South... Good test! Fished for 2 hours, hit 2 decent blitzes on the surface, landed a couple dozen  schoolies, 20"-28" . 

Not 1 knot. 

Next , I will go back to the ball field , walk off more line, repeat process until I get the line lay level, and tight and fish it  until I see if I get any knots.

I did have the local shop respool my line, by machine and fished for a week or so without issue... But then , the knots began.

Let's see how this goes.