BlackLab1

Windknots on VR50 ?? None on Stradic 5000

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

Picked up a new VR50 2 weeks a go, using it on My 7'10" Century Weapon... Had been using a Stradic 5000...  Both reels spooled with blue 20lb power pro.

Couple of observations.

The Stradic 5000, seems to cast heavier plugs better, and never ever have a windknot. Never.

The VR50 doesn't like heavier plugs, and I throw at least 2 nasty windknots every outing. 

The Stradic line lay is perfect, even from front to back. 

VR50 line lay is larger on the rear of the spool than the front, kinda like a cone . Not dramatic but noticeable. I think this is the cause of the windknots... Can't remember if I need to add a washer or take one out.

Line was spooled by the same guy on both, nice even pressure , not overfilled.

Also, I dont really like the stock handle/knob on the VR50.  Other than the upgraded VanStaal knob, what else is out there?

Thanks

bc   

I have been fishing a vr50 for years now weekly since it’s original release. I rarely encounter wind knots. I do not use power pro on any of my reels. I only use Spiderwire’s invisibraid. 

Your Stradic 5000 is also a bigger reel vs a vr50. It’s also a lot smoother, so I wouldn’t compare the two together.

As for knob/handle, there isn’t another handle option. Depending whether you have a newer 50 or an older, newer models handles are a little longer. Knob can be changed to something else easily.

7 mins ago, BlackLab1 said:

Thanks MattieG

My VR50 is a couple months old.  Don't like Powerpro? can I ask why? 

Tell me about Spiderwire invisabraid

tx

bc

I was just never a fan of power pro. Once I find something I like I tend to stick with it. Invisibraid casts great, and holds up great, and you’ll probably get more distance out of it at least I have found.

It’s more expensive however, and I’ve found a lot of shops don’t stock it, they’ll usually stock Stealth instead, or if they do stock it sometimes they’ll be out, or not have much on a roll.

I usually use a 15lb, and I think my guy puts a 10lb mono backing on. 

I have 20lb sufix 832 on my VR50 and actually consider it the best reel I ever had in terms of not getting wind knots and my line lay is great.  Typically casting 1oz lures FYI 1.5oz max pretty much

10lb fireline crystal  casts great no wind knots.  I had the VR50 on the prototype  century Weapon though the reel is good I wasn't  a fan of it on this rod for what I was doing. I bought the Japanese stradic 5k SW I like it better

If the line was put on even by a shop and is now, after use, starting to cone towards the bottom, you would need to remove a washer under the spool. I am not familiar with the VS reels so am unsure if they use line lay washers to adjust the spool like other manufactures. If removing a washer is an option you would need to let out all the line until you get to the even wraps underneath and retrieve the line under tension to reseat the line more evenly. A bottom cone can easily cause wind knots as it very easy for outgoing line to pull an underlying wrap towards the front of the spool prematurely as well as an existing wrap to slide forward to create a loose wrap. 

The OP should provide a pic of the line on the spool. Also, a cone towards the bottom is not good for wind knot prevention. A flat shape is good and a cone towards the top of the spool is  also acceptable. (Some guys say this is preferred.)

Most importantly, if it is really bottom heavy line lay, you will need to remove a shim or even two and then peel off line and reel back in pinching it up by the first guide to provide tension. 

I have had 2 VS Van Staals for over 20 years with no wind knot issues.  For me I had over 20 Shimano reels that hold up great for freshwater but were not reliable for surf or salt.  I sold all but a few unique ones like their great mooching "knuckle buster" but sold the rest and funded the VS reels and am way happier.  I have ordered the VR75 and hope it will be equally as bullet proof.

I said about removing a shim but I looked it up. If there’s a shim, it’s not like on most other reels. So, the only thing I can think of….

If it’s really messing with performance or even just your brain, you can change the backing - or the first third of your line if you went all main line. 

You pull the line off - however you like but easiest is going to another reel. Then by hand you’re going to wind on a sloped section a few mm thick ramped up from the middle toward the spool lip. As big or as small as you need. It’s not scientific so you could end up having to do it again. 

Ive only don’t it for my Nascis that had hourglass line lay and I hand wound a reverse hourglass with the first 50-75 yards of used braid backing. Then I reeled on the rest. Pause and rotate the spool a quarter turn about every 20 seconds. 

I would suggest going with 10lbs Fireline Crystal which breaks at 27-30 lbs. Never had a wind knot with FL Crystal.