trackspace

Late season tube and worm?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

My boys and I have been fishing the Maine coastlines over the last couple of years using the standard topwater lures, live and chunk baits and soft plastics but haven't really messed with the classic tube and worm.  After reading up on it and watching a few videos it seems like it might be another thing to add to the arsenal.  As we head into September and the fall migration, I'm wondering if it's still a viable option?  Most people suggest using a blood/sandworm teaser at the end but the local bait shops around here usually only have those early in the season.  I know there are artificial options, but I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the time and expense this late in the game?  I know quite a few guys around here are using big bunker spoons a bit further offshore for trolling this time of year.  Any thoughts?

In my experience, I've found that the T&W will absolutely work if the fish are still in your neighborhood. I usually use sandworms/bloodworms as a trailer, but I've had success with Gulp sandworms in a pinch.

1 hour ago, trackspace said:

My boys and I have been fishing the Maine coastlines over the last couple of years using the standard topwater lures, live and chunk baits and soft plastics but haven't really messed with the classic tube and worm.  After reading up on it and watching a few videos it seems like it might be another thing to add to the arsenal.  As we head into September and the fall migration, I'm wondering if it's still a viable option?  Most people suggest using a blood/sandworm teaser at the end but the local bait shops around here usually only have those early in the season.  I know there are artificial options, but I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the time and expense this late in the game?  I know quite a few guys around here are using big bunker spoons a bit further offshore for trolling this time of year.  Any thoughts?

Get that tube close to those Maine Rocks. 1.5-2.5 knots. Go unweighted tubes or up to 3/4oz. Santinni tubes are a good one. Save some cash on worms and use some of those good ole maine night crawlers out of your yard. 

The key is speed as in very SLOW.  I run at .9 kts as normal and 1.5 kts as fast.  I use the trolling feature on the engine with an accurate speed through the water measurement.

Learn to gage the depth the tubes are running at relative to speed.  I use lead core line.

With 7 colors out an increase in speed of 1 knot decreases tube depth by 15'.

Good luck

Charlie