evan1

Mud flats

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have been hitting the mud flats near me with the fly rod  the past week or so and to my surprise I have had some success! Each time I've been out i've seen fish surfacing and calmly/ sporadically feeding. Amazingly (to me) I have managed to land a few low-mid 20 inch fish in true shallow water, less than 2 feet. Not sight fishing where you see fish in the water, but I have been able to see fish by the little wake theyre pushing. It's a pain to wade in the mud but it's been a blast. 

IMG_1882.jpg

Edited by evan1

Mud sucks, but it hold food for stripers, Here as most everything drains, you have a mud. For the incoming on the flat seems the best

45 mins ago, Mainiac said:

Nice going ! Have you tried crab flies there ?

Have not, no. I've been using clousers and epoxy baitfish flies that I tied.

That is basically what I have been doing, only from the luxury of a boat with a trolling motor.  It does seem that the very last of the ebb, or beginning of flood work best.  The fish are in very skinny water, and I know that when I am fishing he ebb, I have to be careful not to get grounded and stranded on the flat.  It is fun, and it has been my only reliable way of finding fish lately.