dannyplug1

LARGEMOUTH NIGHT METHODS

32 posts in this topic

Biggest fish by far for me at night come on a senko fished on the bottom.  Most active fish won't be the biggest in my opinion.  I feel the senko coaxes the giants into eating even when they are neutral.  To me, if you want 2 pounders, fish the top.  If you want 5 pounders consistently, fish the bottom.  

back when i used to fish for lmb at night here in RI the go to's were black spinner bait and black 10" curly tail worms with  a pinkish tail head weighted 

I used to be all about the topwater at night and still kinda am but I've done much better the last few years with heavy big bladed dark spinner baits slow rolled deep. The catch rate of bass over 5lbs after dark shot wayyy up when I started doing this.

15 mins ago, jerseycat9 said:

I used to be all about the topwater at night and still kinda am but I've done much better the last few years with heavy big bladed dark spinner baits slow rolled deep. The catch rate of bass over 5lbs after dark shot wayyy up when I started doing this.

I agree.  You want the big girls you got to get on their level

35 mins ago, jerseycat9 said:

I’m not so sure about this theory. Some of the biggest bass I have ever hooked were on hollow body frogs. I had a monster on this summer but never landed it. May have been the biggest bass of my life. That’s what sucks about frogs though. Lots of lost fish for some reason. Hard to keep them on.

2 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I’m not so sure about this theory. Some of the biggest bass I have ever hooked were on hollow body frogs. I had a monster on this summer but never landed it. May have been the biggest bass of my life. That’s what sucks about frogs though. Lots of lost fish for some reason. Hard to keep them on.

Have you tried it thoroughly? 

And no some bodies of water slow rolling spinner baits deep is not an option but on waters where you can implement it in dog days of summer you just might find some big fish.

Anyone who's been on here for a number of years can attest to some big fish that I've thrown up on this site. My body of evidence speaks for itself besides its not like I said it's the ONLY way to catch big bass at night.

Topwater at night has landed me and my client's countess 5lb+ largemouth and many big smallies. I fish all kinds of topwater lures and most will work at one time or another. For me one of the biggest keys is darker the night the better, a bright moon comes up, my numbers drop, a cloud passes in front of the moon game is on. A soft frog in the weeds works very well also at night... Covering lots of water also is important, when shore-bound I use Gliss line just to get that extra 10 - 20 feet of distance... It may be true that something that is worked under the water at night may work better at times (not that it has for me), but topwater is just too much fun! 

1 min ago, Stripernut1 said:

Topwater at night has landed me and my client's countess 5lb+ largemouth and many big smallies. I fish all kinds of topwater lures and most will work at one time or another. For me one of the biggest keys is darker the night the better, a bright moon comes up, my numbers drop, a cloud passes in front of the moon game is on. A soft frog in the weeds works very well also at night... Covering lots of water also is important, when shore-bound I use Gliss line just to get that extra 10 - 20 feet of distance... It may be true that something that is worked under the water at night may work better at times (not that it has for me), but topwater is just too much fun! 

I agree. I always think I can outfish a bright a moon but most often it just sucks that night and I wonder why I still persist lol

11 mins ago, jerseycat9 said:

Have you tried it thoroughly? 

And no some bodies of water slow rolling spinner baits deep is not an option but on waters where you can implement it in dog days of summer you just might find some big fish.

Anyone who's been on here for a number of years can attest to some big fish that I've thrown up on this site. My body of evidence speaks for itself besides its not like I said it's the ONLY way to catch big bass at night.

No, I’m not saying spinner baits don’t catch big bass. I am a big fan of the spinner bait. They have served me well over the years. Slow rolling a spinner bait is one of the best ways to consistently catch big bass. I even cut the arm on my spinner baits to shorten them and only use one blade so they stay deeper at a faster speed. If I had to choose only one lure to use for bass it would be a spinner bait….What I was trying to say is that big bass especially in the summer come shallow when it gets dark and some of them are looking for frogs. Some monster bass are caught on frogs. It’s a top water lure that will definitely catch big bass.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I agree. I always think I can outfish a bright a moon but most often it just sucks that night and I wonder why I still persist lol

We have had many great nights as the full moon was rising, fishing shadows of hills and trees until the shadows are gone. If there are a few clouds passing, we time it to when the moon is blocked... many nights we will fish every bass lure we have, and nothing, a cloud passes and from the same water we get a nice bass on topwater...

Edited by Stripernut1
spelling

9 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

No, I’m not saying spinner baits don’t catch big bass. I am a big fan of the spinner bait. They have served me well over the years. Slow rolling a spinner bait is one of the best ways to consistently catch big bass. I even cut the arm on my spinner baits to shorten them and only use one blade so they stay deeper at a faster speed. If I had to choose only one lure to use for bass it would be a spinner bait….What I was trying to say is that big bass especially in the summer come shallow when it gets dark and some of them are looking for frogs. Some monster bass are caught on frogs. It’s a top water lure that will definitely catch big bass.

This is true on a lot of bodies of water but as I think someone else said, there are just some lakes and waters that just don't fish topwater all that good after dark. My home lake of lake Lanier especially gets tough with towater after dark in the summer and I consistently have to fish offshore humps, saddles and long points in 20ft of water with big spinner baits and dark deep diving crankbaits to find big fish. The older weedy lakes and ponds in Jersey, PA,  NY and Ontario were, in my opinion, best fished on top with weed less frogs and hard baits in open water but these big southern reservoirs get tough in the summer with all the fishing pressure and deep thermoclines. I will always start out with topwater first cause we all know its by far the most exhilarating way to catch fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I night fished reservoirs for many years and also found it takes a while for bass to transition to the night bite and move shallower. Most of my best bite were from 11:00 PM to false dawn, especially false dawn for biggest bass.

A couple of tips.

1. Your depth perception is not great a night and I positioned my boat so I could cast parallel to structure and it also keeps you bait in the strike zone much longer.

2. I had good luck with medium and shallow running fat and minnow crank baits in red and brown with a steady retrieve.

3. My biggest producers were plastic paddle tail swimbaits mounted on a light jig head also with steady very slow retrieve. 

When I first started night fishing I caught some nice fish on black surface lures, black spinner baits and swimming big black worms, but not as consistently as I did with a slow and steady swim retrieve with the crank and swim baits.

My best spots for big bass were rip raps on dams and bridges, or the ends of rip raps where they transition to mud, gravel or sand. Second was the inside edge of weed beds near deep structure like islands, and points at the mouths of coves, or reefs. In the back end of coves and secondary point inside coves I mostly caught medium to small bass on the outside edge of weed beds, or points inside the coves especially on a points the split a cove into two separate creek arms.

Edited by Jay Blair