dannyplug1

LARGEMOUTH NIGHT METHODS

39 posts in this topic

Over this summer, I have been fishing a local lake.  This lake is fairly shallow and very rocky. It’s has about four feet of clarity and is located in south east Massachusetts.  It is fished hard but I feel that there may be some bigger fish. I have done ok using the senko.  On each occasion I have stayed a few hours into the darkness, in the hope of catching a monster.  I have tried jitterbugs, Livingston’s (like a jointed jitter stick on steroids).  Should I be using different baits?  Worms, jigs, crank baits?  Traditional wisdom emphasis is on top water.  Is that because the his are fantastic?  I have tried with the top water with little luck.  Any ideas on baits and where to fish flats, deep areas? Thanks Charlie 

Some lakes just fish topwater better than others.  I think alot of that depends on prevailing food for the fish.  If the food is crayfish and other bottom dwelling stuff the bass might not be hunting up as often.

If there is a good frog and insect population then topwater may shine.  

Match the hatch so to speak.  Night time can be the time to use large soft plastics in some places.  The Bass will find them even in the dark.  Spinner baits with Colorado blades are also deadly at night.  The big thumpy ones!!

Wake baits with rattles will work as well,  fish them slow with lots of pauses.  

If going on top a popper, sammy or jitterbug style but dark colors like black work the best for me.

I'm not sure exactly why, but I haven't fished for largemouths at night in a few years.  One thing I'd advise is to push back your fishing until the wee hours.  Sometimes just fishing a few hours into dark is too soon.  I found it takes 3-4 hours of darkness before the big bass really move into the shallows on the prowl.  I usually wouldn't start until after midnight and often 1:00 or 2:00 in the mnorning.  I understand that those times are difficult for most working people.

WOW, good point about fishing deep in the night, I do this as well, makes a big difference for me…

I have mostly weedy, shallow lakes around me but do fish a deep kettle hole lake somewhat near by once in a while….

Chatter baits with your trailer of choice swam suuuper slooow is always a producer for me.

I can’t use the heavier 3/8 oz size & get a slow swim without  getting weed fouled but don’t like the size & action of the 1/4 oz version so I modify the head weight of the 3/8 oz size to lighten it up to what I want…

Some really great replies already on the top water side…. I’ll throw using ribbit frogs or a zoom horny toads type frog into the mix, I’ve had banner nights using these things…

1/2 oz black or black/red spinnerbait with a single #5 colorado blade (preferably black)

6” wakebait

3/4 oz black/blue jig w trailer - heavily scented with an attractant.

4 hours ago, clambellies said:

I'm not sure exactly why, but I haven't fished for largemouths at night in a few years.  One thing I'd advise is to push back your fishing until the wee hours.  Sometimes just fishing a few hours into dark is too soon.  I found it takes 3-4 hours of darkness before the big bass really move into the shallows on the prowl.  I usually wouldn't start until after midnight and often 1:00 or 2:00 in the mnorning.  I understand that those times are difficult for most working people.

This is the best advice regarding night time bass fishing. It is never good to fish when it first gets dark. It takes several hours of darkness for the fish to adjust. I find it is always better to fish the dark hours of the morning until the sun begins to rise. This advice is far more useful than which lures to use.

For the longest time black spinner baits with black Colorado blades were my go too.

But, started using wake baits as well, the Rapala BX wake minnow has become my go too at night time in open water. Definitely worth picking one up.

I think the time is the key.  I usually leave the water two or three hours into the night (or else wife will sell out all of my stuff ..she will assume I am dead.  I think I will try fishing from two or three to dawn next time and crash the rest of the day.

9 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

I think the time is the key.  I usually leave the water two or three hours into the night (or else wife will sell out all of my stuff ..she will assume I am dead.  I think I will try fishing from two or three to dawn next time and crash the rest of the day.

Just check the winds.  I use a wind site (windy) that is very accurate short range.  Nothing worse then a late night windy lake 

Of course I have done really well on a windy night but still not as much fun

Frogs along the edge and using long sharp sweeping rod motions to crash deep diving crayfish patterns into the rocks has caught countless bass for me in a lake that gets pounded during the daylight to the point where decent fish don't bite at all until it gets dark and the park closes (and I sneak in)

Posted (edited) · Report post

As said above several times. Wait till later into night to start or stay much later. Needs to settle down. Any technique you use during the day should work. Experiment when you start, lots of vibration, top, then don't hesitant to use jig or soft plastics. The last tournament I fished at night was split tournament 3 pm till 12 pm. Slow till about 9 30. Then caught 3 on black jig in about 2hrs that weight in at 10 and change. Culled the other 3 which were maybe totally 5 and change. This is one of the toughest lakes to fish in area. Which seldom give more than 6 or 7 lbs for 3, except for spring. But one of best baits was a buzz bait. Don't get out at night anymore.

Edited by Mdbasser
Add Line

There is a pond 1/2 hour drive from me that I fish at night during the open water season.

I will plan on getting there about 1/2 hour before sunset/dusk so I can launch quick and get out on the water.

What's good is that almost EVERY other watercraft will be pulling out at that time.

I usually have the pond to myself.

Although it's not a really deep pond, there is sufficient cover for some nice big fish to hide.

Fishing at night, I stick to a simple gam plan : use lure that make noise or vibrations in the water.

Since bass don't like bright light they tend to hide in shade/shadows during the day.

BUT....at night they cruise out in the open and will hit surface lures with reckless abandon.

A section of this pond has a thick weed base that has about a foot of water over the weeds, so baitfish don't always make it into the weeds when being hunted. Sometimes they try escaping by going up instead of down.

That makes for a fun fishing experience when a sunfish or minnow leaps out of the water and hits you on the head or chest (happened to me twice).

Lure color isn't too important, except maybe if you are choosing between light and dark colors.

If the bass are looking up at your lure, all they are seeing is the silhouette of the lure, so color is just an option.

If you can dedicate the time to fish late into the night, the odds will tend to be in your favor.

Just be prepared for biting bugs....