prican1

IRT reels

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Does anyone here own an IRT Reel that has been used & abused in the surf? How well did it hold up and how easy is it to service yourself? Enquiring minds want to know.....

Very happy with the 400DD I surf and wade fish and don't take care of my gear other than spray down after some trips never a issue after few years.PXL_20210526_102038977.jpg.5018b03bedf5c2663b4c01a29ff2c6b7.jpg

2 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I was looking at these things. They’re all unsealed correct?

The main body is sealed. The drag is sealed. There’s a bunch of o-rings throughout.. don’t own one or know anyone who does. So I’m not sure of how water tight they are vs say a VS or Zeebaas. 

Kil from Blackhole USA seems to fish them exclusively judging by all his pictures he posts.

7 hours ago, Callmefish said:

I was looking at these things. They’re all unsealed correct?

I believe the 200 size is sealed 

11 hours ago, prican1 said:

Does anyone here own an IRT Reel that has been used & abused in the surf? How well did it hold up and how easy is it to service yourself? Enquiring minds want to know.....

Where are you located?

Kilsong's JigNPop in New Jersey is the only retailer I know. Otherwise, they're build to order. 

We have a few older threads on them, which you can find by Search.

I don't see any rubber gaskets anywhere on these, the schematics for each are on their site. Sincerely doubt they are up to anything more than what a BG can handle environment wise.

Definitely not worth the cost of 3.5-6 spheros SWAs when the only thing that will realistically go bad on those are the gears which can be completely replaced for $40 every year or two. Chump change. 

IRTs have always seemed like maximum weight for minimal line capacity and retrieve speed. The only real thing that could be said is they are made in USA and maybe available since a lot of companies are having a hard time keeping up with demand. Other than that they aren't competitive in the slightest. 

9 hours ago, AFMike said:

Where are you located?

Suffolk County, L I

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Kilsong's JigNPop in New Jersey is the only retailer I know. Otherwise, they're build to order. 

We have a few older threads on them, which you can find by Search.

I know Brian but like you said, older threads, I want info from someone who's used it in the suds last fall & this past spring.

13 mins ago, RedGreen said:

I don't see any rubber gaskets anywhere on these, the schematics for each are on their site. Sincerely doubt they are up to anything more than what a BG can handle environment wise.

Definitely not worth the cost of 3.5-6 spheros SWAs when the only thing that will realistically go bad on those are the gears which can be completely replaced for $40 every year or two. Chump change. 

IRTs have always seemed like maximum weight for minimal line capacity and retrieve speed. The only real thing that could be said is they are made in USA and maybe available since a lot of companies are having a hard time keeping up with demand. Other than that they aren't competitive in the slightest. 

I can see where your coming from but there's no better info than hands on 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I own a 50 SR and a 200 IRT …. Hands down the IRT wins in every catagory in my opinion. I have a old VS 150 and I would say that reel beats my IRT for the surf and are heads up for everything else. 

personally I think the VS 50SR is way overpriced for its quality level. IMO it’s junk. It grinds under load and just feels like a toy reel esp compared to my old VS 150. 

vr50 vs IRT 200 dollar for dollar for quality and value I’d take the IRT everytime as once you use one you know it’s a serious piece of equipment . Now admittedly I have never abuse my gear so I cannot give a opinion as to how either are under abusive use. At near 70 I am not going to dive off jetties and tread water trying to catch a friggin fish. Nor am I going to intentionally take a $500 reel and step on it in the wash to see what happens. I worked hard for my money and what I spend it on deserves my respect of its design intent.

I’ll say I fished my IRT200 on a 7’10” mag century weapon jr 3-4 nights a week last Nov - into Jan and never had a issue in the Jersey surf. I have since moved south and bought a boat and its is still my goto spinning reel for Seatrout, reds, snook, and tarpon in the gulf

Edited by Jim DE

Well if you all hadnt run Marty off . He had one. 

Best bet is Kilsong. He beats the hell out of the ones he has.

On 8/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, Jim DE said:

I own a 50 SR and a 200 IRT …. Hands down the IRT wins in every catagory in my opinion. I have a old VS 150 and I would say that reel beats my IRT for the surf and are heads up for everything else. 

personally I think the VS 50SR is way overpriced for its quality level. IMO it’s junk. It grinds under load and just feels like a toy reel esp compared to my old VS 150. 

vr50 vs IRT 200 dollar for dollar for quality and value I’d take the IRT everytime as once you use one you know it’s a serious piece of equipment . Now admittedly I have never abuse my gear so I cannot give a opinion as to how either are under abusive use. At near 70 I am not going to dive off jetties and tread water trying to catch a friggin fish. Nor am I going to intentionally take a $500 reel and step on it in the wash to see what happens. I worked hard for my money and what I spend it on deserves my respect of its design intent.

I’ll say I fished my IRT200 on a 7’10” mag century weapon jr 3-4 nights a week last Nov - into Jan and never had a issue in the Jersey surf. I have since moved south and bought a boat and its is still my goto spinning reel for Seatrout, reds, snook, and tarpon in the gulf

Still doing Satan's work, I see. ;)