Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone on here fly fish the coast of New Jersey for Albies,Blues,Striper? I have been there twice and have had mediocre luck and have caught weird species such as northern stargazers on the surf. Just curious if anyone on here chase the striper of albies on the surf with the fly rod in sept,nov,dec months.If so what have you found to be most productive with fly pattern,color, etc 

Take a look at the NJ Regional Forum and read the monthly reports threads from Sep-Dec.  While most posters aren't fly fishing, it should help with what bait are around and when the fall striper run gets going.  I've had success fishing chartreuse/white clousers and half-and-half flies when the bass are keying in on sand eels.

90% of the flies I fish now are Flatwings, anywhere from 3 feather tails to Razzle-Dazzle or Squid Patters, which have a lot of feathers incorporated.  I tend to fish either a two or three fly dropper setup on a tapered leader constructed with triple Surgeon knots, with a floating fly line.  My teasers tend to be a rays fly and/or General Practitioner pattern with my 40-30-20lb test ot 30-20lb test construct looped to an Airflo poly leader of 5 ft length in either floating, intermediate or sink, depending on the current and depth at which the fish are feeding. I invite you to search my posts for the patterns I utilize, including some bunker flies tied with Natural Salt Water Yak Hair, incorporating a Flatwing Tail if the bunker are larger than Peanuts.  Incidentally, my primary line choice for Bunker patterns is intermediate, with an intermediate poly leader and a single-Fly-only tippet of 20lb strength. 

Fish from Keyport to tip of hook to Pt Pleasant. Plenty of fish, summer is more of a fluke thing, occasional summer striper at night- April till Memorial day for spring stripers/blues- starting soon in late august albies/spanish macs will show up- a hit or miss situation, just have to be fishing to run into them- Stripers/blues mid September till New years- Night better but day break/sunset are viable- just pick a spot and try-lot of area to learn- 

Albies will come in during stable weather in September into October, very hit or miss (mostly miss)... folks have gotten them at the 'squan and even Belmar area jetties, along the Albie Alley from Sea Bright up to the Hook and especially at the rip at Sandy Hook.

One year during extreme abundance, and it happened to be my first year flyfishing the salt (so that makes it 2001), Albies were so abundant I had one jump 15 ft in front of me while fishing UNION BEACH... and that same year I saw them blitzing on the bayside of the Hook

Much better shots from a boat in that area and over to Breezy Point, of course.  Tough fish to get from the sand or rocks.

19 hours ago, JettyJumper3924 said:

Anyone on here fly fish the coast of New Jersey for Albies,Blues,Striper? I have been there twice and have had mediocre luck and have caught weird species such as northern stargazers on the surf. Just curious if anyone on here chase the striper of albies on the surf with the fly rod in sept,nov,dec months.If so what have you found to be most productive with fly pattern,color, etc 

Find a local club, usually they have open outings to anyone who want to put some spare time to be knee deep.

I actually find really good advices and spots in many of those outings that I use and share with others to this day, always greatfull to this guys.

The media change the approach to the game but, time in the water should be the foundation, from here, observation by day at low tide to find references on the actual structure, to come back in high tide or dark, spot the bait and what birds are above are a great source of info, and last presentation, specially in low light conditions once finding the right tide and time moving water, at first might give you tones of nonsense clues at first like the stargazer you caught, that’s a clue to me, we should learn to put it together before reaching some level of consistency in our local spots.

I did so for few seasons since, my logs from early 2000s shows ups and downs in numbers of fish and the obvious decreasing in size and population numbers are sadly matching the data. 

But for sure they are in the same structure, chasing same seasonal bait in full darkness as longer the water it’s moving, the presentation is on us and can really be frustrating at times, again but putting the time sure makes the all difference to get a tight line, and the hunt the way you want, to many out there, it’s the best part.

You sure start in the right spot!

Good luck

Albies are a real challenge with the fly rod, in my experience the only I'll be able to reach them with the sissy stick is to get them at a choke point where they are pushed against the shore, like an inlet or harbor mouth with parallel stone jetties.  I usually see them in the bay side of said inlets and cruising very fast along the shore, usually just out of range of a 2 handed fly rod.  So if they're in town, I'll bring both, fly rod and a good casting rod with a deadly dick or a epoxy albie jig. 

Stargazers in the surf are good, means there is some bait around and keep trying, there may be other preds nearby cruising in the trough.  I don't expect or look for albies in the surf though, I do that in the inlets, etc.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Durning the mid 70’s I had a boat in the Atlantic Highlands . Is was very well known Albies were abundant. It’s not an easy thing to do but buy a boat . Versatility owning one will put you in / on more fish .it’s best to have someone who knows how to operate it as so you can fish more . 

Edited by Hook I

JJ3924, with the exception of Albies , fish in the dark to up your odds from shore. You’ll do better for the species you are seeking. 

I live and Fish in NJ.  Usually from Belmar to Point Pleasent and occasionally LBI.  During the summer I have had luck with Fluke and Blues in the surf.  I usually use a Chartreuse clouser or some type of surf candy.  During the spring and fall runs its all about timing.  The largest Striper I ever caught was 3 or 4 years ago on Black Friday after Thanksgiving at Spring Lake on a sand eel fly.  At least for me, this spring the fish didn't seems to come in close to the beach like in other years. I hoping that changes this fall.  Feel free to hit me up if you want to connect and fish together sometime :) .