t.lapinski

Blank ID - Lami?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Received a built, 2-piece rod that I plan to rewrap at some point. I stripped the guides and grip off it yesterday and hope to ID. I assumed it was a Lami GSB 120 2M but the specs don't match up close enough with what's listed online to make a call on it. The blank is old, likely 10+ years, so maybe these meet older Lami specs?

Here are the specs:

50/50 split, 10' total length

.875 butt

10 tip

7.85 ounces

Any thoughts? Can post a picture of the blank but it looks just like every other Lami GSB I've ever wrapped.

Coming up empty so far. Found 2 catalogs from 01 and 04 and the 10’ two piece is not listed back then.

If it wasn’t so hot I would dig in the attic. Should have something up there.

Hopefully someone else gets it before me.

Spec wise it seems about right. Could be a St.Croix, Saber and Pac Bay would have been heavier.

On 9/11/2021 at 9:11 PM, ccb said:

what type of furrule is on it metal ?  maybe a custom, not factory

It looks like a standard factory ferrule. It might be a tri flex blank as the guy I got it from said he thought that's what it is. Trying to track down specs on that direction now.

Definitely closer to your specs. If I remember correctly the tri-flex should have a flag of fiberglas in the tip section that is black, not gray like the graphite.

4CB9398C-E585-40A8-B397-86DB0BD444FE.jpeg

Come to think of it I had the mud hole version of this blank and it was all graphite in color. The flag of fiberglass was sandwiched between the graphite.

6 mins ago, LowEnd said:

Definitely closer to your specs. If I remember correctly the tri-flex should have a flag of fiberglas in the tip section that is black, not gray like the graphite.

I just looked more closely at the tip section and it does have grey & black graphite. Thanks for the help!AE27AE91-9E7A-417D-A3A2-4CD1155540C4.jpeg.3e4e3e750f7d5f0c4f5b03717456161d.jpeg

Just now, LowEnd said:

BTW, this is an excellent rod. 

Yeah, it feels good and will be built as a back-up to keep in my truck with the option to see more use if I like how it fishes. Love my GSB's but it's also fun to change things up from time to time.

The one I had I made conventional. Was good with 3 to 4 oz. + a chunk.

I threw the factory spinning rod once upon a time and was very impressed.

Thank god Lami still makes the GSB. I often wonder why they stop making other great rods like the TriFlex or the original SuperSurf.