life span of St Croix spinning rods

Rate this topic

jimbass

I just want to put this out there.I purchased a St Croix Premier medium (6 to 12 lb line test) in 2010 from my local bait and tackle shop. Do these rods ever say give out? or how long do they last? I am setting this rod up with a reel and planning on getting through the late summer-fall bass season. I do not want to buy another rod to at least untill the holidays for next season. thanks in advance

St croix builds good rods… I’m unfamiliar with the warranty on the Premier line. I own various Avid’s & Legends. Treat the rod as it should be treated, and I don’t see why it would fail. If it does fail again I’m unsure of the warranty that came with those. I know my Avid’s and Legends have their best warranties. 

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

great company I like to support. Great customer service. Not all my rods are from SC, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I broke a 8' Ben Doerr way out of warranty and they gave me a severe discount on pretty much any rod I wanted if I sent the broken rod back to them.

if i have to measure the fish, it's already too damn small

Straight from purchase you get 5 years. You can do some upgrades for a price that are generous if you are rough on rods. I just sent 2 in for warranty. 1 under 5yrs, one over. One will be cover 100 percent. I'll pay about 50 percent on second rod. Warranty you do not actually have to send rod in. They have a good verification system. Save lots of money. I was looking to at a gloomis I had that broke. By the time I paid shipping and fee 1 was at 2/3 price. I just ditched it and bought another St croix. I now have 9 St Croixs.

27 mins ago, jimbass said:

I just want to put this out there.I purchased a St Croix Premier medium (6 to 12 lb line test) in 2010 from my local bait and tackle shop. Do these rods ever say give out? or how long do they last? I am setting this rod up with a reel and planning on getting through the late summer-fall bass season. I do not want to buy another rod to at least untill the holidays for next season. thanks in advance

I've had a st Croix ultra light for about 30 years and still going strong. 

troll #122  <*)))<

I have one premeir that is 30 years old and two more that are 28 years old that are all still fishing.  The oldest one, the real seat came loose so I applied some 5 min epoxy.  Other than that no issues.  I fished all the rods hard in my teenage years and was not exactly easy on equipment.  Talking about riding bikes to fishing holes, getting them covered in snapper scales, etc.  All I ever did was rinse them after use in the salt water.

They are still some of my go-to rods to this day.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.. 

Also the idea that rods just blow out is bs.   

I own 30+ St. Croix rods for all species.  They make the best muskie rods and that’s my primary target species in the summer.  They use quality components - Fuji guides and great cork.  If needed, they simply have unmatched customer service.  Several of my rods are 25 years old or older and going strong.  

I personally own about 30 rods. Maybe more. About half of them are St Croix. Some of my rods are 35 years old. Fishing rods don't go bad. Mine work the same today as they did 35 years ago. From my experience, fishing rods will last a lifetime as long they don't get damaged during use.

Now the flex coating and guide wrap is the biggest point of concern. If a rod isn't pushed to it's limit, then there is nothing to worry about. But if a rod is pushed to it's limit and this is done regarly, the flex coating will crack and things will fall apart. 

Many factory rods use THIN layers of flex coat and a SINGLE layer of wrap around the guides. St Croix (and many other brands) are TERRIBLE for this. After a good night fishing, I've put multiple stress cracks on a brand new top of the line rod. When I see that, I sell the rod immediately cuz I know it ain't gonna last. Some of these expensive factory rods are JUNK!

The custom rods I've had made are double wrapped and have THICK layers of flex coating everywhere. I had them custom built like tanks. Some of my individual rods have landed me literally hundreds of cows. Yes there are lots of stress cracks on the flex coating. But the rods still work fine. These rods are pushed very hard though. 

St Croix could never have survived half of what I put my customs rods through. And I've owned every St Croix surf rod in the past few decades.

So basically in the end, if a rod is used within it's limits, then yes... They'll last pretty much a lifetime and then you can hopefully pass it on to your kids. :)

It seems if a rod is going to break, it goes early in it’s life.  Of course, if the rod is compromised by high sticking, a tailgate, ceiling fan, 6oz pyramid sinker slamming against it, jetty falls, et cetera it will fail. I have am 8’ 1/2-2oz from 97 with an old Cabo 40 still going strong. Well used, but never abused.  I’ve actually busted more 2pc smaller rods by improperly transporting. 

12 hours ago, jimbass said:

Find yourself a glass rod. Fish it for the rest of your life and leave it for someone else to do the same. Fenwick, Harnell, Lami can be found. I'm still using mine from the 60's.

I still use 2 St croix rods I bought in the late 80's or early 90's. One is a 10' H 4 to 10 oz graphlite conventional, still kicks azz with a 140 squider on her. The other is a 10' M/H 3/4 to 3 oz graphlite I use for fishing Eels at IRI, she still kicks azz. There a graphite and fiberglass composit. I can't kill them. I even have a couple of back bay inshore Primeir rods from when I had a boat.  I have other make rods, but I have had great luck with St Croix.

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.