nbn73

Cuttyhunk FYI

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Just returned from a four day trip to Cutty. It was reasonably productive, lots of slot size fish taking top water and blurple. One 40" fish taken at the pyramids on the ebb. West End Road is now private, no anglers allowed. We were told to leave on two occasions. No access to West End Road means we will not return to Cutty. Not sure what happened or why to eliminate angler access-use of West End Road. anyone know otherwise? ...why, when this happened?

I know what happened. Fishermen behaving like animals. Probably the same guys who fish the canal. Crap the place up, act obnoxious, urinate and crap like dogs whenever the urge strikes.  What other reason could it be?

45 mins ago, nbn73 said:

Just returned from a four day trip to Cutty. It was reasonably productive, lots of slot size fish taking top water and blurple. One 40" fish taken at the pyramids on the ebb. West End Road is now private, no anglers allowed. We were told to leave on two occasions. No access to West End Road means we will not return to Cutty. Not sure what happened or why to eliminate angler access-use of West End Road. anyone know otherwise? ...why, when this happened?

I think it’s only during the summer that west end road is off limits 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I know what happened. Fishermen behaving like animals. Probably the same guys who fish the canal. Crap the place up, act obnoxious, urinate and crap like dogs whenever the urge strikes.  What other reason could it be?

bob_G Do you think people will ever understand most access is not a right? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

57 mins ago, west tide said:

I think it’s only during the summer that west end road is off limits 

Yes in the height of the season 

Allen Spaulding who unfortunately lost his  life in a plane crash on the island left the property to his brother.

His brother has since closed that road during the height of the season…

the Land at the end of the island is part of a land trust and the Cuttyhunk club donated land to that trust ….

so it’s bull**** that guys staying in the club are stopped from using the road.

I was on island when that unfortunately happened, we had to traverse past the plane (RIP Allen)

very eerie 

Edited by fishinthedark

1 hour ago, K Foley said:

bob_G Do you think people will ever understand most access is not a right? 

I can answer that...wait for it....No !

I have been to Cuttyhunk a few times in the past 4-5 years. I have never seen anything but respectful fisherman out there. Not saying it doesn’t happen; but It’s definitely not the typical  “canal crowd”. Nothing about the trip screams easy fishing for the white bucket brigade; poachers and hood rats. 

On 8/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, nbn73 said:

Who told you to leave on two occasions?

I agree on not returning without access to West End Road.... Glad I had many trips out there before fishing dropped off and the island access was restricted. Was a magical retreat.

Thanks for the constructive responses to this thread. I've got it sorted out. The family that owns the property at the west end keeps the road closed and enforces privacy during the peak summer season. At no point do they permit golf carts, atv's or bikes on this road. There are other ways to access the west end shore for fishing. Tight lines.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:35 PM, bob_G said:

But wait, we've been doing it for years.  If the residents don't like it they can move.  Its our God givin right.  Damn rich people!