TJ2021

How do you wear your surf bag?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, Lowcountry Yaker said:

For those who carry your bag this way, how do you get into it while it's on the belt? I assume the belt is properly tight enough to keep the bag from sagging under its weight. No problem sliding it around?

I'm thinking backache...................No?

Sorry, missed this on Sunday. 

On 10/31/2021 at 3:27 PM, WindAndWater said:

Me? You quote my post?! Ha.

yes, that big bag was intriguing and the opposite of what I am seeking . 

I happened to take a look at your Florida surf bag post this morning. It was a bit, and saying this ‘respectfully’ to borrow a SOL cliche, long winded and I probably skipped through some parts somewhat quickly.

Yeah, not the first time I have heard that, but that's the reformed engineer in me. Plus, i had written most the that for Nick at 4171, no SOL. 

But you mentioned that you’ve seen bags down in Florida stuffed with multiple Plano boxes and odds and ends. 

My grundens pack usually has only one Plano 3700 box in it. It’s usually the deep 3700, granted. 

In the NE sometimes you just have to pack a jacket. And with a pack it’s really easy to bring a jacket. Since I made that post, I’ve been using mostly a 3 tube gear up bag without a pouch. 

That’s part of the fun of surf fishing. Deciding how much you want to push yourself physically. So many ways to do it. And one way is to be the typical lure junkie/glutton. And you always know that at the end of that long 1-2-3+ mile hike you’ll still have realized you left something essential in the truck! 

walks are much shorter here and if it is not in the bag, it isn't being cast. 

3 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

I'm thinking backache...................No?

If a belt with bag is giving you a backache, you are doing it wrong. the weight of a proper (i.e. thick and stiff) belt should sit on your hips. 

8 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

With respect to the content of this thread, the highlighted above most probably applies to us all.  Our back and shoulder issues would be null and void issue if we cut the "50%" out  :th:

it is like desks, the bigger your desk, the more crap you have on it (and under it). smaller bag, less stuff, lighter weight, fewer aches. 

it is not that hard. 

btw, if i need more than the bag will carry, i can use a backpack or sling bag. 

On 10/26/2021 at 11:44 AM, i_like_poppers said:

I use a zbelt, the bag slides back and forth without a problem. Best part, no back pain after walking the beach.

Here's my problem with the Zbelt, which by the way--i love its' concept......but how is one to carry an additional bag or pouch of choice on the right side of the belt where there is apparently a very short strap length?  If there were two equal straps in length (both connecting at the center of the back) it would be much more useful.....No?

It still is a hell of a belt for those who use one bag and a few accessories.........Hoping they address this.......

On 10/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, flyangler said:

This was one of my issues as well, plus impingement in my right shoulder which is where the shoulder strap would sit. Photos below of my existing set up from the nearby thread on designing a bag with SE anglers in mind. Blackhawk Tactical duty belt meant for cops. 

IMG_6267.jpeg.d1cf3dad889e63a7c82607d49d2c4101.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg.6c45ee841d1d345547d5db26c0bb84cb.jpeg

Downside of belt-only usage and lots of beach walking is there is a wear-point that requires belt loops to have some reinforcement with either edge stitching or a thicker webbing material. 

5230F65D-B7E5-4824-BBFB-2FEC8C304C06_1_105_c.jpeg.14ba7930e21e2413a6583ea1399dd1aa.jpeg

5883ADF6-8270-4762-870B-032214CCBF7A_1_105_c.jpeg.cd9139cfed14795aa9fd21f2c0c0a36c.jpeg

fly........how, for Pete's sake, are you free of back pain with that kind of weight even on your belt??

19 mins ago, flyangler said:

If a belt with bag is giving you a backache, you are doing it wrong. the weight of a proper (i.e. thick and stiff) belt should sit on your hips. 

So are you saying it should not be a tight, snug fit?  The belt should actually be loose to the size of your hips....hence, "resting" on your hips?

Example, loose enough so if I wanted to.....i could lift the belt itself and move the location of the buckle around my waist??

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

So are you saying it should not be a tight, snug fit?  The belt should actually be loose to the size of your hips....hence, "resting" on your hips?

Example, loose enough so if I wanted to.....i could lift the belt itself and move the location of the buckle around my waist??

Oh, the belt is tight, it just sits right outside the belt holding up my shorts. Putting it on requires some strength to get the two ends of the clips together. 

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

fly........how, for Pete's sake, are you free of back pain with that kind of weight even on your belt??

Though it is one thing I have never looked for, I have to believe there are videos for cops on how to load and wear your duty belt. Between pistol, loaded mags, tourniquet, flashlight and taser pistol, their rigs have to weigh much more than mine. Probably worth temps minutes to search and watch. 

8 hours ago, flyangler said:

Oh, the belt is tight, it just sits right outside the belt holding up my shorts. Putting it on requires some strength to get the two ends of the clips together. 

So fly.........are you able to rotate your belt around your waist if need be?  Trying to get a feel of how tight and where i should be wearing my belt on my mid section.  Like i said, i'm always experiencing some type of ache after so long and i do wear it above my hips fairly snug to the point where i can't rotate it comfortably.

Thanks for you help with this.......it's driving me crazy to the point where i'm looking at that ZBelt for comfort but i don't think that belt will be able to hold an additional opposite side pouch/bag for me.  I try different bags, positions, carrying loads, etc........it's becoming frustrating at this point.....

I use the z belt also.  It is tightened above the hips, tight enough where it does take some effort to turn the belt.  Turning the belt is not practical while fishing.  My plug bag is on the left side, where the belt is longest, and that bag is able to be swung forward to select a plug, then slid back so I can fish unobstructed.

You will not be able to fit most any bag on the right side unless it is like a single tube.  I use that side for: Aqualung tanto dive knife bolted to the belt- angled for cross arm access, pliers sheath.  The pliers may be swung forward/back if needed.  

In short the belt stays stationary once put on, and has limited room for accessories on the right hand side.

The belt does provide good back support.

Edited by chisler

19 hours ago, flyangler said:

And clip it to a ring on the back to both take some of the weight off your shoulder putting it on the belt, and to stop it from swinging around on the cast.

20 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Here's my problem with the Zbelt, which by the way--i love its' concept......but how is one to carry an additional bag or pouch of choice on the right side of the belt where there is apparently a very short strap length?  If there were two equal straps in length (both connecting at the center of the back) it would be much more useful.....No?

It still is a hell of a belt for those who use one bag and a few accessories.........Hoping they address this.......

Had that problem too, use a two tube ODM surfwave bag. Gulp fits in the bucktail pouch and an aquaskinz medium pouch fits with my pliers/sheath on the shorter side. Works pretty well. That, said I completely agree, if it were a little longer it would be more useful, but I do like being to put my bag on my back and just slide it around. 

3 hours ago, i_like_poppers said:

Had that problem too, use a two tube ODM surfwave bag. Gulp fits in the bucktail pouch and an aquaskinz medium pouch fits with my pliers/sheath on the shorter side. Works pretty well. That, said I completely agree, if it were a little longer it would be more useful, but I do like being to put my bag on my back and just slide it around. 

Agreed..........if they just had both straps on each side of equal length.