TJ2021

How do you wear your surf bag?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, dtracy43 said:

rock hopper belt 

received_185355386801433.jpeg

For those who carry your bag this way, how do you get into it while it's on the belt? I assume the belt is properly tight enough to keep the bag from sagging under its weight. No problem sliding it around?

18 mins ago, Lowcountry Yaker said:

For those who carry your bag this way, how do you get into it while it's on the belt? I assume the belt is properly tight enough to keep the bag from sagging under its weight. No problem sliding it around?

I use a zbelt, the bag slides back and forth without a problem. Best part, no back pain after walking the beach.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, Lowcountry Yaker said:

It takes a little bit of force to move it, so it doesn’t slide like crazy. It’s not hard to move, but it’s just enough that it’s not bouncing around. 

On 8/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I found that a bag on my shoulder prevented me from actually casting to peak performance....switched to the belt and much better ....out of the way and more comfortable....omo.

This was one of my issues as well, plus impingement in my right shoulder which is where the shoulder strap would sit. Photos below of my existing set up from the nearby thread on designing a bag with SE anglers in mind. Blackhawk Tactical duty belt meant for cops. 

IMG_6267.jpeg.d1cf3dad889e63a7c82607d49d2c4101.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg.6c45ee841d1d345547d5db26c0bb84cb.jpeg

Downside of belt-only usage and lots of beach walking is there is a wear-point that requires belt loops to have some reinforcement with either edge stitching or a thicker webbing material. 

5230F65D-B7E5-4824-BBFB-2FEC8C304C06_1_105_c.jpeg.14ba7930e21e2413a6583ea1399dd1aa.jpeg

5883ADF6-8270-4762-870B-032214CCBF7A_1_105_c.jpeg.cd9139cfed14795aa9fd21f2c0c0a36c.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

On 8/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, 8 & Bait said:

I wear mine with my tsunami salt X, my instagram logo patch, my prostaff affiliations and my gopro hero 18 black supreme special for the cocktail bluefish midday that require a dry top from stomr.  

that's funny

9 mins ago, flyangler said:

This was one of my issues as well, plus impingement in my right shoulder which is where the shoulder strap would sit. Photos below of my existing set up from the nearby thread on designing a bag with SE anglers in mind. Blackhawk Tactical duty belt meant for cops. 

IMG_6267.jpeg.d1cf3dad889e63a7c82607d49d2c4101.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg.6c45ee841d1d345547d5db26c0bb84cb.jpeg

Downside of belt-only usage and lots of beach walking is there is a wear-point that requires belt loops to have some reinforcement with either edge stitching or a thicker webbing material. 

5230F65D-B7E5-4824-BBFB-2FEC8C304C06_1_105_c.jpeg.14ba7930e21e2413a6583ea1399dd1aa.jpeg

5883ADF6-8270-4762-870B-032214CCBF7A_1_105_c.jpeg.cd9139cfed14795aa9fd21f2c0c0a36c.jpeg

My belt is tactical belt as well w/ stainsless steel buckle........can't beat'em.

Over shoulder across the chest to opposite side issue is when you bend down to unhook fish bag always slides forward ! I put a big D ring on my belt and through one of the rings on the bag .

It keeps it from sliding forward when you bend down but enuff freedom to slide on belt easily!

On 8/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, CaryGreene said:

Also have a large shoulder bag for 12 to 18 hour shifts.

IMG_20190902_095136.jpg.153944a5b8663e56bf74108762f5fccf.jpg

On 8/26/2021 at 2:17 PM, WindAndWater said:

30L grundens waterproof backpack with one tube on the belt.

Almost wondering if I’m carrying around too much stuff just because I need the backpack for all of my stuff! :) But the weight distribution on the back has been pretty good.

Need to try fitting everything in 2 tubes and a water bottle on my belt to see if it could be better. I personally don’t know if I could ever get the stuff I want to bring down to just two tubes!!! :)

Not too crazy about how a shoulder bag feels and gets in the way of my casting motion sometimes. 

On 8/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, sytheteacher said:

Every year or so my grandchildren get new  backpacks to carry their school books .. I get their old backpacks and use them to carry my equipment when I'm perusing the beach  and new fishing locations when I am faraway from my vehicle.. They weigh about thirty pounds full of fishing essentials... 

Sorry guys, but @z-man and I were discussing "less is more" in another thread and I told him that what he thinks is "more" in my case is actually "less" than many others. You guys made my case for me. 

:howdy:

22 mins ago, flyangler said:

Sorry guys, but @z-man and I were discussing "less is more" in another thread and I told him that what he thinks is "more" in my case is actually "less" than many others. You guys made my case for me. 

:howdy:

Me? You quote my post?! Ha.

I happened to take a look at your Florida surf bag post this morning. It was a bit, and saying this ‘respectfully’ to borrow a SOL cliche, long winded and I probably skipped through some parts somewhat quickly. But you mentioned that you’ve seen bags down in Florida stuffed with multiple Plano boxes and odds and ends. 

My grundens pack usually has only one Plano 3700 box in it. It’s usually the deep 3700, granted. 

In the NE sometimes you just have to pack a jacket. And with a pack it’s really easy to bring a jacket. Since I made that post, I’ve been using mostly a 3 tube gear up bag without a pouch. 

That’s part of the fun of surf fishing. Deciding how much you want to push yourself physically. So many ways to do it. And one way is to be the typical lure junkie/glutton. And you always know that at the end of that long 1-2-3+ mile hike you’ll still have realized you left something essential in the truck! 

I have a gear up belt which is super stiff so it doesn’t sag when you have things on it . I have the gear up bucktail bag and a single tube for some plugs with water holder, boga and pliers . Could fit another single tube of I wanted no prob. Absolutely hate straps over my shoulders . Don’t like the feeling of being choked while fishing . 

I’ve always worn my plug bag comfortably over my shoulder for a 4 hour or so trip.  I also don’t carry a ton of plugs or heavy bucktails so my bag is fairly light.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:04 PM, dtracy43 said:

rock hopper belt 

received_185355386801433.jpeg

dt-

How long before you start feeling a slight back/shoulder ache?  I've always experienced some type of back ache after a few hours on the beach.  I've had three tube, two tube, whatever the combo, still experience some type of back discomfort after a few hours.   At any given time though, i only carry two items --- one bag with a pouch riding on the opposite side of my belt for leverage,,,but still at some point, i'll get that annoying ache.  I've ditched carrying over my shoulder cause that's just worse.

I probably have to lighten the load...but honestly, i don't pack my bags to the gill anyway.  It's a never-ending issue...........gotta find the right combo with a reduced selection of plugs, tins and soft plastics!!

On 10/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, GrahamN said:

My 2 tube equivalent which I generally use for my smaller plugs and lighter setups I wear on a belt on my left hip, it's light enough to not bother me at all 

My 3tube I generally have packed full and goes both on a belt with a strap over the shoulder to keep it from banging around or sagging ( also on my left hip but swung more around twords my back)

That being said, I'm trying to get away from my 3 tube packed full so I may buy a second 2 tube to keep on the belt  

I rarely fish 50% of the crap I keep in it anyways 

With respect to the content of this thread, the highlighted above most probably applies to us all.  Our back and shoulder issues would be null and void issue if we cut the "50%" out  :th: