TJ2021

How do you wear your surf bag?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

Every year or so my grandchildren get new  backpacks to carry their school books .. I get their old backpacks and use them to carry my equipment when I'm perusing the beach  and new fishing locations when I am faraway from my vehicle.. They weigh about thirty pounds full of fishing essentials... 

If I'm wading the plug bag is over my neck and on my shoulder. I find it easy to rotate the bag for plug changing while in waist deep water. I don't like this if I'm not wading because if I have to bend over to take a fish off or do something else the bag swings forward  like a pendulum and dangles from around my neck.

If I'm walking beach, jetty,  I like to use a hip bag that sits above butt and has a strap like a belt that clips together. I usually keep it on when fishing. To change plugs I loosen the strap slightly and rotate the bag to the font. Change plug then rotate bag to rear and tighten strap. Easy. The trick is finding the right size bag and trying hard to not overload it. I must admit that I typically have things in there that I rarely use. I also change over plugs based on what I think I may need for that specific outing. 

7 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Every year or so my grandchildren get new  backpacks to carry their school books .. I get their old backpacks and use them to carry my equipment when I'm perusing the beach  and new fishing locations when I am faraway from my vehicle.. They weigh about thirty pounds full of fishing essentials... 

30 pounds?!!?

On 8/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, TJ2021 said:

I wear my plug bag on my belt with its belt loops and even though I have a quality surf belt, the bag can still weigh the belt down a bit. I know many guys just wear theirs around their shoulder with a strap but I feel like that'd get uncomfortable after a few hours of casting and 10 lbs of lures in the bag. How do you guys wear your surf bags comfortably and effectively?

As others have said, get a heavy duty belt.  Gear up is stiff and solid.

14 hours ago, Finneus said:

30 pounds?!!?

Yup thirty pounds. Besides having everything that I may need, it become an other form of needed exercise..  The walking the beach helped me lose over fifty pounds of ugly fat.. Now when I look down I can see my family jewels..

I walk miles so my bag never leaves my body, but here's the progression: 40 yrs ago 175 items in a bag on my shoulder.  20 yrs ago 75 items a bag on shoulder.  10 yrs ago 30 items in a 4 tube on shoulder.  Last 5 yrs about 20 items on a Black Hawk Duty Belt.  Last couple yrs 6-8 items on the Duty Belt.  This year will be trying an ODM AIO (one tube of sort) with a separate bucktail pouch on a Zbelt.   

On 8/22/2021 at 5:28 PM, 8 & Bait said:

I wear mine with my tsunami salt X, my instagram logo patch, my prostaff affiliations and my gopro hero 18 black supreme special for the cocktail bluefish midday that require a dry top from stomr.  

:-) lol

My normal go to 3 Tube Gear up is strapped to my belt, and shoulder. Without using the strap my back tends to hurt after awhile. The strap saves my back. 

On 8/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, Buckscorider said:

I wear mine attached to the rock hopper belt for beach and jetty.

Over the shoulder for wading the bay.

Talk about weighed down.

This fell out of my bag when I dumped it at one point last fall, I know I know...lol

20210314_163726.jpg

# notanightfisherman

On 8/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, sytheteacher said:

Every year or so?! I had one $25 jansport make it through middle school, high school and college. 

I mostly use a 3 tube gear up, and I both strap it to my belt and use the shoulder strap. Most of the weight is on my waist, but the shoulder strap stabilizes the bag nicely.

My 2 tube equivalent which I generally use for my smaller plugs and lighter setups I wear on a belt on my left hip, it's light enough to not bother me at all 

My 3tube I generally have packed full and goes both on a belt with a strap over the shoulder to keep it from banging around or sagging ( also on my left hip but swung more around twords my back)

That being said, I'm trying to get away from my 3 tube packed full so I may buy a second 2 tube to keep on the belt  

I rarely fish 50% of the crap I keep in it anyways