rathrbefishn

Light travel rod- spinning

11 posts in this topic

I am looking for a travel rod  for an upcoming trip-  something like a 6 ft light to medium rod (6-8 lb test, maybe 1/8-1/2 ounce).  This is for a handful our hours of fishing during what is mostly a trip full of day hikes.  I dont' want to break the bank and  also not typically a fan of telescoping rods though its been decade since I tried any.  usually I take one as a carryon, but this time I need something to pack in my checked bag

24 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

I am looking for a travel rod  for an upcoming trip-  something like a 6 ft light to medium rod (6-8 lb test, maybe 1/8-1/2 ounce).  This is for a handful our hours of fishing during what is mostly a trip full of day hikes.  I dont' want to break the bank and  also not typically a fan of telescoping rods though its been decade since I tried any.  usually I take one as a carryon, but this time I need something to pack in my checked bag

i would go with 6'6" medium light 2pc's around 4 oz weight off the rod,fenwick or saint croix premier.

Kastking Blackhawk 2 is a sweet rod for $50. 24 ton toray but it feels kinda parabolic to me I guess because of the sections. The sliding guides make all the difference from the old school  telescopics.

I stuff mine in a backpack for hiking when I can't carry a full size rod through the sticks. 

Go for the Med. the ML is more like a UL imo

6 hours ago, triumph said:

Kastking Blackhawk 2 is a sweet rod for $50. 24 ton toray but it feels kinda parabolic to me I guess because of the sections. The sliding guides make all the difference from the old school  telescopics.

I stuff mine in a backpack for hiking when I can't carry a full size rod through the sticks. 

Go for the Med. the ML is more like a UL imo

Just spent a bit of time on the river site trying to see if I can get one in time.  Won't be here fast enough. I should  have thought of this sooner. Any general thoughts on telescopic rods vs 5 or 6 piece rods?

I got a 6' UL Daiwa Presso (4 pieces) from the Bezos River.  Haven't used it yet but felt decent when I put it together.  I bought yhe cheapest reel I could find for it (Daiwa Strike Force), so once I do use, we'll see.  Easily fits in a small pack though. 

57 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

Any general thoughts on telescopic rods vs 5 or 6 piece rods?

Telescopics with carbon blanks and floating guides are way better than the Eagle Claw/Coleman I had as a kid but I doubt they can compete with the St Croix travel rod. The telescope can be left rigged and collapsed with say a TA clip in the hook keeper. Sectional needs to be broken down each time to stow it properly. 

I got the Kastking as a beater for some places I hike to and was impressed I may get a casting version and a heavy one for catfish. They just about 50 bucks...

If you're in a hurry and just need a cheap rod...BP has a tele with floating guides

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tend to use my old school Kunnan travel rod. Its 7'6 2-8#. Model # 74765. I had this rod for at least 15 years. It casts light lures very well and can convert to a fly rod if need be.

I also have a Fenwick HMG travel rod as well somewhere that is just as old. I think that one was a GS70ML-4 but was 6-12#. 

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

Edited by Slick706

Kinda not what your looking for but I've used a Zebco Dock Demon for stuff like this. 

Tied it to my pack, stuffed it under my bus seat (driver) and have stashed it in a variety of places.   

Caught some pretty decent FW fish on it.