Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikematt

Orvis Clearwater Breathables & the COLD

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Not another wader question? Sorry, it's specific and quick.

I'm talking REAL cold! I believe that the Clearwaters are the basic (cheapest)breathable. I am about to buy them but am worried they are not warm enough. Has anyone used them when the water is in the 40's and the air is well below freezing? Were you cold? Thanks.

Mikematt,

no matter which breathable wader from orvis you buy, you will be cold, so you haev to dress appropriately underneath. All the models are basically the same. I have the silver label stockingfoot, and I fish all thru the winter. My formula is as follows, Winter--I wear polypropelene long johns, a union suit (red wool suit), a thick pair of fleece pants...

early spring-- union suit, thick fleece pants

spring-- fleece pants

summer-- bathing suit

same as above in reverse order

The key to keeping warm in the breathables is wearing fabrics underneath that also breath. fleece, poly, wool, are all great.. layer with those, and you shoul dbe fine.

also, but the winter wading sock fom orvis, its a mix blend of fibers, wool, etc.. its really warm and works well...

BC

Hey thanks guys,

I was thinking about the same lines for a breathable from ORVIS. My question is about boot foot or stocking foot, I don't know if it comes in a boot foot but having heard Atilla's lecture, I may be swayed to invest in a stocking foot and buy the boots separately. What do you guys think?

well, I have to wear stocking foot cause my feet are too big for the normal boot foot. However, I probably would buy the stocking foot anyway. You can then buy a very comfortable boot that you can wear while wading or even wearing shorts in the summer time walking the beach, I have the Orvis Wadfing shoe (}not sure of the name) Its leather and green nylon, with a felt bottom, very comfortable...

one word though, I would buy some 1/4 inch mountaineering cord to be used as a shoe lace as my laces shredded in the salt after about 20 times in the water.

BC

JCX I bought a pair of Orvis Silver labels this winter. I looked at the stockign foot. I woundup with the hiking book waders. Sorta a cross between boot and stickign waders. I ulitimately decided agianst the stocking foot cause I didnt wanna deal with the sand in my boots.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

In the described conditions I suggest wearing nothing but converse Chuck Taylor high tops with felt glued to the soles and an all cotton thong brief. (I hear the cotton may dry before it freezes solid.)

Actually the converse with felt were my actual summer wading shoe for the local smallmouth and trout creeks of my hillbilly youth.

Back to the topic at hand,....my plan was to use 3.5mm neoprene in the early spring/late fall, and the breathables in warm weather and in the

Texas gulf flats in early spring and be comfortable year round. Unfortunately I still get pretty damn clammy in the breathables. I think Cabelas sells their own brand of a waist high breathable that may be a more comfortable alternative....to be honest, next time around I will stick with my neoprene in the conditions you described and buy a cheap nylon pair for warm weather, comfort factor was not worth the $200 price tag with the breathables.

If you don't want to buy a neoprene pair then a pair of quality long underwear designed to wick persperation and some polar fleece pants and you should be in business.

I went for the Orvis SL and like JohnM I opted for the Hiking bootfoot. It's like a stockingfoot with a laced wading shoe permanently attached. Still waiting for the weather to break to try them out.

Mikematt, fished last year with a set of White River boot foot I got as a gift $129 but would have bought th Orvis. I perfer the boot foot model as you don't have sand and shells stuck in boots. Only wore my Red Ball neo's once last Nov and regretted it as always, sweated to the point of my wetting my pants. About the cold, don't know what the water temp was but as I reeled in my line it froze as soon as it left the water, my guides and levelwind were full of ice and I was comfortable with just cheapo long johns. One thing to consider is I fish out of a truck, don't baitfish, and am always on the move. My neo's have been retired, and to think I used to sleep in those in the front seat of my pickup at Montauk every weekend. Technology is a wonderful thing. Buy the breathables! My .02 Prospector

I saw the SL breathables with the hiking boot from orvis in their sale paper for $149 reg 240 . I called and they didnt have my size . A great wader for the warmer months and if you layer with breathable and can wick away moisture materials you should fair well into the colder months .

when you purchase something from orvis they add you to their mailing list and send out a sales paper a couple times a year with usually small stocks of various things for deep cuts in cost . They had various sizes left like tall sizes with shoe sizes like size 10 ,11 and 14 . Probably not many of each . Usually if you call immediatly after receiving the paper you can get what your looking for . I have a pair of 2mm neoprenes I got for like 60% off a couple years ago .

It all depends on what you wear underneath. I wore Mid weight capilene pants with fleece over them, and for socks, liner socks, light weight socks, and mid weight socks. Warm as a button. I was fishing in the Wood River in RI, water temp was 35 degree, dunno why I was fishin' smile.gif Air temp was -4 with the wind chill. Maybe I should buy some plane tickets . O yeah, Thats right, all the airports are closed biggrin.gif

------------------

Matt Baker

Custom Tied Flies

Bristol, RI

Well, its done. I bought them. This is my first pair of waders, so I can't really say how they'll do. Most on SOL seem to be pleased. As for the cold issue, I am nervous as to how thin they are. They are so lightweight that I can't help but think I'll freeze. I filled my tub with cold tap water and pulled the waders on over jeans and hopped in. After a few minutes, I could feel the cold. Not that bad, but it was there. I couldn't find a thermometer to see what the water temp was, but it was pretty cold. I have a high tolerance for the cold, so I'll just put a bunch of layers on underneath. I predict that the first time I go out, I'll actually peel off a layer because I overdressed. As for the comfort, WOW, they are comfortable. Anyway, thanks for the advise (Orvis says thanks as well).