bart1

Miles per gallon.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Being a new HPDI owner, couple notes:

They are very sensitive to clean fuel.  Stay on you VST filter and the canister downstream.  Those are annual items.  The vst screen can be cleaned with carb cleaner, the cannister gets replaced.

I also run 10 micron raycors.  Probably a good idea if you don't have them.

Once the season is over, I'd pull the injectors and send them to injector rehab (.com) for cleaning/servicing.  I really think this should be on every HPDIs PM list.  Lean out a cylinder in a two stroke....kaput.  They are easy enough to pull yourself.  Index them though so that they go back where they came from.

And if you are confident in your wrenching, not a bad idea to crack the HP fuel pump and replace the 'mystery' filters.  Its the same basket filters that are in the injectors.  They don't appear in any schematic, Yam doesnt want you servicing the pump, they tell you you have to send it to Flagship in Fl (injectors too, but thats BS) which will cost you $1500 if they start to clog.  Even after all that filtration I was really surprised how much orange gunk were in mine.  Not a bad job if you are reasonably mechanically inclined.  Plenty of info on the net about this.

Lastly, decarb them, they will thank you and you will notice the difference particularly if it hasn't been done before.  Carbon buildup on the rings, prohibiting their ability to 'float', is probably the biggest killer of two strokes.  I shock them with seafoam every 75 hours or so.

OH - and lastly lastly - particularly if you do any amount of slow trolling (ie stripers) - the HPDIs much prefer the Pennzoil semisynthetic over the Yamalube.  And its cheaper and exhaust smells better too.  And wallyworld carries it.  Much like the rest of Yams parts pricing you will find - its ridiculous, as if they are made of gold.

1400+ hours on mine and purring, so take my advice for whatever its worth

i had a 2008 hpdi 200 on my parker 23 se cc.  

loved that motor - sold it with that boat last year.

yamaha master mechanic i bought it from in 2012 told me “take care of this motor and it will take very good care of you.  good gas, ring free, yamilube, sta-bil.  be shure to check the plugs.  if you troll, let her run on the way home.  if you use it a couple days in a row, don’t worry about it but if its gonna sit for more than a couple days get the salt out first.”

ran perfectly for the 1,200 hours i owned it.  

as far as i know still going strong.

anyway - it pretty much averaged 3 miles / gal at 4000 (31mph).

Edited by nicknotsebastian

For WOT calculations you can figure just about a 1/10 of a gallon per horsepower per hour. So you will be right around 20 gallons per hour at WOT. If the boat does 40mph then at WOT you will be getting 2 MPG.

As others have suggested at "cruising" speed you should get close to 3 MPG

Thanks. I feel like I’m getting much less than that but I’m not sure. It has an 80 gallon gas tank so I’m trying to determine how far of runs I can make. I was figuring around 1.5 mpg to be on the safe side. 

What mako say is true about the hpdi. They are picky motors.  They are dfi injected . So are picky on the lube. The yamalube is  a blended oil said to foul plugs out prematurely on the hpdi. the hpdi like the synthetic  oil.  The t stats will mess with your idle as well.  Do not premix gas on the hpdi.  

11 hours ago, bart1 said:

Thanks. I feel like I’m getting much less than that but I’m not sure. It has an 80 gallon gas tank so I’m trying to determine how far of runs I can make. I was figuring around 1.5 mpg to be on the safe side. 

Do your guages have a “Miles” number?

I reset mine to 0 when I fill up and just do the math at next fill up. 

My boat gets about 2 mpg so I filled up the other day to miles said 90 I knew it would take about 45 gallons and it did. 

14 hours ago, bart1 said:

Top your tank, do some shorter runs--say, run out 15 miles or so--come back, fill you-r tank, and do the math.  That's the way I've always done it, making longer runs, which provide more precision, once I start getting an idea of the burn.

And remember, if you have an 80 gallon tank, figure your range based on burning no more than 55 gallons.  You want to get back in your tank with 1/3 of your fuel still in your tank.  That way, if you run into bad conditions that require you to take a zig-zag course home, or maybe even return through a different inlet, you've got the fuel to make it home safely.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:14 AM, CWitek said:

Top your tank, do some shorter runs--say, run out 15 miles or so--come back, fill you-r tank, and do the math.  That's the way I've always done it, making longer runs, which provide more precision, once I start getting an idea of the burn.

And remember, if you have an 80 gallon tank, figure your range based on burning no more than 55 gallons.  You want to get back in your tank with 1/3 of your fuel still in your tank.  That way, if you run into bad conditions that require you to take a zig-zag course home, or maybe even return through a different inlet, you've got the fuel to make it home safely.

Excellent advice, thanks! 

I have a 2002 200 hpdi on a Parker 2320.  With full 150 gal tank, gear etc, I get 2 nmpg.  Currently have about 1150 hours on hpdi, run Pennzoil syn blend exclusively, maintain filters, treat every gal of gas with Stabil 360 and RingFree.

On my Pacific I get the total fuel burn for my trip from the Mercury gauge then the total miles traveled from my GPS, I average around 8-10mpg, 19' boat with a new Mercury 150 four stroke.