Waterproof neck light

Rate this topic

Sporto10003

I’m a Princeton Tec fan. Don’t remember the model name offhand but I have a couple of the small 2xAAA model. Has a bottle opener/lanyard hole on the end and I just have it strung around my next with some paracord but I’ve been wanting to look into the surgical tubing route—just don’t have a source for it. 

5 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

I’m a Princeton Tec fan. Don’t remember the model name offhand but I have a couple of the small 2xAAA model. Has a bottle opener/lanyard hole on the end and I just have it strung around my next with some paracord but I’ve been wanting to look into the surgical tubing route—just don’t have a source for it. 

Yes i have had a few of those. Princeton Tec Amp 1L. Cheap and light like $13. Just bought a new one on Amazon. They don't last forever but for the price, you get a new one every couple of years. Fairly bright. Mostly use for when I really need to see what going on. Still use red headlamp when changing plugs etc.. to keep my night vision.

What is the best day of the week to fish Montauk? Yesterday!

4 hours ago, weatherguy777 said:

Yes i have had a few of those. Princeton Tec Amp 1L. Cheap and light like $13. Just bought a new one on Amazon. They don't last forever but for the price, you get a new one every couple of years.

+1 on this light, I've had other Princeton lights as well, problem i always had was that saltwater will find a way to corrode things, the inside of these lights are no different.......

Try slathering the bulb assy. & O-rings on that new light you just got with dielectric grease right out of the package, it will last considerably longer than  a couple of years...

This ones better than 10 yrs old, I ripped out the bottle opener, sucked biting down on that thing, this light is used mostly for wet suiting, when using grease it still looks like new inside.....

611fa51c83c78_PicturePackage.jpg.e59883730f4d6f862162f7f407fbecef.jpg

On 8/19/2021 at 2:20 AM, Sporto10003 said:

Suggestions for a waterproof neck light. ...

Light will get dunked and submerged for sure. Suggestions welcome. 

Whatever you decide on make sure it gets good run time, obviously, everything changes with amount of batteries it takes, look for a dual AAA model, at a minimum you should get at least 50 - 70+ hours of run time with that, 4 AAA lights usually get upwards of 100 - 200+ hours of run time.....

High run time lights slowly dim over time, you can run them for much longer when the batteries start to go … stay away from high lumen / short burn time lights, they don't dim slowly, they tend to die quickly leaving you in the dark.

The Princeton Tec Attitude is a 4 AAA model, gets 150 hrs. of run time, not heavy at all, the light I have now is an Amp, takes 2 AAA batts. …. gets 72 hours.

Edited by BillZ

couple of tips, don’t tighten it down like a maniac after installing batteries, and keep O rings lubricated. i know from experience and tightening it down more then necessary can damage the O ring leading to water intrusion. i have bad luck with push button dive lights and i think it’s due to saliva getting in where the push buttton is and damaging the mechanism. my stream light (white light) for walking and UK pen light (red light) for when i’m on my rock. you will probably break a few till you find a good one. i use 5/16 spear gun tube for the lanyard and secure that with electrical tape followed by some x flock heat shrinked over it. yet to try this dive gear express mini twist light but i have high hopes because it is a twist light and i have been told that is the way to go for longevity of the light. 

55014DD5-A919-46F4-B13E-7F7ACD11F2DC.jpeg

25 mins ago, JBay718 said:

couple of tips, don’t tighten it down like a maniac after installing batteries, and keep O rings lubricated. i know from experience and tightening it down more then necessary can damage the O ring leading to water intrusion. i have bad luck with push button dive lights and i think it’s due to saliva getting in where the push buttton is and damaging the mechanism. my stream light (white light) for walking and UK pen light (red light) for when i’m on my rock. you will probably break a few till you find a good one. i use 5/16 spear gun tube for the lanyard and secure that with electrical tape followed by some x flock heat shrinked over it. yet to try this dive gear express mini twist light but i have high hopes because it is a twist light and i have been told that is the way to go for longevity of the light. 

55014DD5-A919-46F4-B13E-7F7ACD11F2DC.jpeg

Who is the maker of the light in the picture?

5 hours ago, BillZ said:

+1 on this light, I've had other Princeton lights as well, problem i always had was that saltwater will find a way to corrode things, the inside of these lights are no different.......

Try slathering the bulb assy. & O-rings on that new light you just got with dielectric grease right out of the package, it will last considerably longer than  a couple of years...

This ones better than 10 yrs old, I ripped out the bottle opener, sucked biting down on that thing, this light is used mostly for wet suiting, when using grease it still looks like new inside.....

611fa51c83c78_PicturePackage.jpg.e59883730f4d6f862162f7f407fbecef.jpg

Any tips for removing the bottle opener without ruining the housing? I always wanted to remove but didn't want to bust it up. Thanks

What is the best day of the week to fish Montauk? Yesterday!

1 min ago, weatherguy777 said:

Any tips for removing the bottle opener without ruining the housing? I always wanted to remove but didn't want to bust it up. Thanks

I think all i did was remove the rubber coating over the tops of the screws & remove them, after that it came right out??

I honestly don't fully remember it was so long ago....

20210820_140647.jpg.acb46cb73ba84f36a3331d49714e3ff6.jpg

yeah, i was just poking around a little more, its starting to come back to me.... looks like I  removed all the rubber around the opener &  on the lower half.... you can see right by my thumb under the tape where my cut line is....

opposite side of screw holes...

20210820_141515.jpg.dc65bc7ccce04c87010997e10a40e6aa.jpg