Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
googinator

Wonderin about Weed

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Simple question...

How much weed is too much weed? When do you decide that a spot is un-fishable due to weed?

Is it when after every retrieve there are a few strands on your plug? Or is it when there is a whole glob of weed on your plug after every cast?

Would you switch to something like a bucktail or something else that accumulates less weed? Or are there any other tricks?

Or are fish less likely to be in a mess of weed?

Simple question...

How much weed is too much weed?

Never heard of such a thing . Smoke it till you cant smoke any more !

couldnt resist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truthfully too much weed is when on every cast or two I bring in small globs of weed . Ill move until either I dont get weed or less where it doesnt interfer with retrieve . some times there is no getting away from it .

Depends on the type of weed.wink.gif

Mung: (if it's considered a weed) Seems to be a Massachusetts thing.

Move until it's gone.

Clings to and makes line mono/braid near impossible to spool! Plug nor bait is immune.

Bad stuff...mess you up!cwm31.gifRun away....

Eel Grass: Kinda just deal with it. Fly/plug/bait

Cabbage: Plug, Deal with it.

Bait to much when you can't hold.

I don't get out that often, so I tend to put up with less than ideal weed conditions.

This summer (NJ)that nasty clear sticky critter substance was the worst.

What was that goop called?

[This message has been edited by BobNoFish (edited 11-25-2001).]

Too much when you can't find your way homebiggrin.gif I say when you are picking up some on every cast. Far as I know, fish don't hit prey that is covered with weeds so if I get it on every cast there is not much chance of catching anyway. I move till its gone or else I'm gone.

Too much weed is when you can't get more than two or three cranks of the reel before you feel your lure loading up. If it's a few strands of eel grass collecting on your lure near the end of your retrieve, that's manageable. Won't make me leave a fishy spot to find clean water.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 11-25-2001).]

Sometimes you got no choice.Cast and pick, cast and pick.Sometimes the weeds are only in close and there are fish out past them in the clear water.That's one place a fly rod can be better.I can use a weedless fly and pick it up to cast without having to retrieve through the weeds.Caught a nice bass this spring like that.Got a fish and ten pounds of mung with it.