NMurray

Line for Penn 704Z

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

What's the best line for 704Zs? I know these were made back in the day of mono but I'd prefer to fish with braid. From searching it seems that most people spool these reels with fireline.

Berkeley Fireline in 20-30 pound test has always been recommended, not sure if that has changed as a recommendation with a more modern alternative 

You can put anything on it but Power Pro.  My wife just got done knitting a sweater and I have a ball of wool left and that will be better than PP. The wool is orange but still better than PP.

38 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Original fireline, 20#

That's what I was told , Fireline works fine on the 704 z. I use mono, but if I switched i'd go Fireline.

704z does not wrap braid all that well (tight) around the spool.

I used spiderwire it was ok. 

I fished them for years, I would sell it on the Bay and purchase an updated reel. Imho

20 hours ago, NMurray said:

What's the best line for 704Zs? I know these were made back in the day of mono but I'd prefer to fish with braid. From searching it seems that most people spool these reels with fireline.

30lb PowePro is what I use on most of my surf setups. 40lb if you are dealing with structure but you will lose some casting distance. 

46 mins ago, oc1 said:

I put PP on my Spinfishers too and never had a problem.  The line lay is pretty decent.

I have two spools for my Spinfisher 5500 and use 30 on one, 40 on the other. Gives me more versatility depending on what I want to throw. Spinfisher is a great reel btw, mine has held up like a pro after taking a beating over the years. 

I used 30 Fireline on one as recently as last season while my VS was in the shop.  Worked fine as long as you keep it tight.  Had a few issues going from a lighter plug to heavy plug because of loose line lay.  But if you pay attention you should be fine. 

Thanks all. Good to know about keeping a tight line lay. I'm planning on using the reel mostly just to learn how to use a bailless reel. I'm pairing it with a 10'6" Mojo primarily for throwing bucktails at my local jetty until I get the hang of fishing without a bail.