Frank2104

Next rod addition suggestions

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Started beach fishing this year. Right now I have a 10' Penn Battle III, Heavy, Mod Fast, 1-5 oz.  and a cheap R2F 7 ft med heavy, 1-3 oz. My usual approach is to throw out a fish finder on the 10' and then a hi-lo rig closer in with the 7. My luck so far was a couple dog fish in early May and some spot last week.

I've been looking to add to my weapons. I would like to get an inshore rod in the 7-8 foot range to try some flounder jigging or in IR inlet. Thought I would like also to add a longer surf rod, maybe a 12' for reaching out further. I've been leaning towards picking up the inshore rod in the near future. But....based on a comment DE Surfman just made I am rethinking.

DE Surfman made a comment about September coming and he is snelling up some beefy looking hooks. I know enough to know that things really change around that time. So....my question is....since we're in mid August already, would I do better to go for a longer surf rod now and concentrate on looking forward to Sept/Oct fishing and hold off on new inshore maybe until next year? (Depending on much my CFO allows me for fishing budget).

TIA

Posted (edited) · Report post

Frank, Here is what I use for flounder, From the surf , I have a 7'6" Star Steller lite, 3/4 to 2 oz  spinning. From the rocks , I use my tog rod, 9' Tica 2 to 6 oz, this is if I'm tog fishing and we start getting a flounder bite. I also use a 7' ugly stick med heavy action. I wouldn't use an expenceive rod or feel on the rocks, just one that will get the job done. I use an 11' Penn prevail 2 to 6 oz for blues in the surf, 11' star vpr rod I just bought for casting out furthur for puppy drum and blues, bait chunking. The only 12' I have is a Penn battalion 4 to 10 oz conventional I use for bull red drum, and small sharks. It all depends what you will be fishing for in the fall. I'm a rod and reel junkie lol, I try to have a rod and reel for every fish. I wind up only using not even half of what I have.

Edited by hunter123

I believe maybe another 10' or 10' 6 with a lower rating, maybe a medium or medium heavy rated for 1/2 to 3 ozs or 3/4 to 4 ozs would be ideal. The lower rating rod will load easier with lures in that weight range than you 1 to 5 and with practice, can improve distance. 3/4 of fish are in suds to 100, 150 feet out feeding or looking to feed. Ive always felt distance is overrated, but useful on those days when it is needed. I prefer a longer rod more so to keep the line out of the waves than for distance.

Edited by ORourke

16 hours ago, ORourke said:

I believe maybe another 10' or 10' 6 with a lower rating, maybe a medium or medium heavy rated for 1/2 to 3 ozs or 3/4 to 4 ozs would be ideal. The lower rating rod will load easier with lures in that weight range than you 1 to 5 and with practice, can improve distance. 3/4 of fish are in suds to 100, 150 feet out feeding or looking to feed. Ive always felt distance is overrated, but useful on those days when it is needed. I prefer a longer rod more so to keep the line out of the waves than for distance.

Airwave Elite 9’6 3/4-3 oz or 10’6 1-3.5oz. I have the 9’6 and it throws all my lighter stuff well (SP minnows, small metals, soft plastics, etc). Don’t be scared of the lure ratings either, these rods still have backbone! I’m really impressed for around $200. 

18 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Started beach fishing this year. Right now I have a 10' Penn Battle III, Heavy, Mod Fast, 1-5 oz.  and a cheap R2F 7 ft med heavy, 1-3 oz. My usual approach is to throw out a fish finder on the 10' and then a hi-lo rig closer in with the 7. My luck so far was a couple dog fish in early May and some spot last week.

I've been looking to add to my weapons. I would like to get an inshore rod in the 7-8 foot range to try some flounder jigging or in IR inlet. Thought I would like also to add a longer surf rod, maybe a 12' for reaching out further. I've been leaning towards picking up the inshore rod in the near future. But....based on a comment DE Surfman just made I am rethinking.

DE Surfman made a comment about September coming and he is snelling up some beefy looking hooks. I know enough to know that things really change around that time. So....my question is....since we're in mid August already, would I do better to go for a longer surf rod now and concentrate on looking forward to Sept/Oct fishing and hold off on new inshore maybe until next year? (Depending on much my CFO allows me for fishing budget).

TIA

I think the post you saw about snelling beefy hooks was likely a reference to the September Red Drum bite at Assateague.  September surf in Delaware has good variety but in my experience not a ton of size.  Obviously there are exceptions to any rule.

Edited by sbcbmx112

4 hours ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

Airwave Elite 9’6 3/4-3 oz or 10’6 1-3.5oz. I have the 9’6 and it throws all my lighter stuff well (SP minnows, small metals, soft plastics, etc). Don’t be scared of the lure ratings either, these rods still have backbone! I’m really impressed for around $200. 

I have a Tsunami 11' elite I use for casting plugs on the beach. I love thenrod, there a great buy for the money. Now I'llswitch the reel I use on her to braid. Then I'll love it better.

19 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I have a Tsunami 11' elite I use for casting plugs on the beach. I love thenrod, there a great buy for the money. Now I'llswitch the reel I use on her to braid. Then I'll love it better.

Haven’t used mono in years, braid is the way to go!