The Riddler

This car climbed Mount Washington

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Broke his own record. I like the drift where he almost slides off the Mountain.

Edited by The Riddler

36 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Not much room for error in many spots, I'd bet I could do it in 1/2 hour. Good publicity for Subaru.

Well, he did have a spotter on a helicopter giving him info about upcoming turns and cutbacks.

Yeah, I can see some toolbag wanting to F-9 that road in his street burner, and having his family sue the state and the car company when he drifts off the road and into the hillside and gets planted like the a tree he'd be hitting when hit landed.

Luckily they don't have 6 minute commercials on TV, so the clip would only be available online.

used to like watching the Rally races, pretty cool that the driver doesn't know the course and the navigator does it once and takes the notes on turns

30 right

20 left

I see vehicles with the "This car climbed Mount Washington" sticker on the back of the vehicle.

Then I say "Why don't you try climbing it on foot!"

I did that with a couple of friends back in the 80's.

We hiked from the Appalachian Mountain Club headquarters (check in) and hiked up to the Mezpah Hut on the Crawford Notch. They had camping platforms as well as a B&B on the site. We camped out.

Next morning we set out around 7:00am and hiked to the summit. Stopped at the Lake of the Clouds hut to refill our canteens and climbed the last mile up the Giants' Staircase to the summit

We grabbed a quick bite at the summit cafeteria, took a picture at the summit and headed back to our campsite.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend. It ended up being a 18 mile round trip to the summit and back, and an added 2+ miles back down to the road. Of course while we were about 1/3 the way down it rained. I mean it REALLY poured. The path looked like a stream.

We were smart enough to have left a change of clothes in the car, and proceeded to change in the parking lot before heading home.

If you have the energy and time and mostly the desire, it's something I would suggest. You will need to be in some sort of healthy condition, as it will be strenuous. The scenery will make up for it in the end!

1 hour ago, Capt Buck said:

We did this in a lifted short bed F-150 on 35" M/Ts 35 years ago just a little bit slower

I did it in size 10 HiTek's, and just a bit slower still. 

Its been a while.   In fact, its time to plan another trip to Pres Range. 

59 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Well, he did have a spotter on a helicopter giving him info about upcoming turns and cutbacks.

Nope.

That drive is all him.

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

I did that with a couple of friends back in the 80's.

We hiked from the Appalachian Mountain Club headquarters (check in) and hiked up to the Mezpah Hut on the Crawford Notch. They had camping platforms as well as a B&B on the site. We camped out.

Next morning we set out around 7:00am and hiked to the summit. Stopped at the Lake of the Clouds hut to refill our canteens and climbed the last mile up the Giants' Staircase to the summit

We grabbed a quick bite at the summit cafeteria, took a picture at the summit and headed back to our campsite.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend. It ended up being a 18 mile round trip to the summit and back, and an added 2+ miles back down to the road. Of course while we were about 1/3 the way down it rained. I mean it REALLY poured. The path looked like a stream.

We were smart enough to have left a change of clothes in the car, and proceeded to change in the parking lot before heading home.

If you have the energy and time and mostly the desire, it's something I would suggest. You will need to be in some sort of healthy condition, as it will be strenuous. The scenery will make up for it in the end!

Yeah, its a really nice hike and it wasnt as rigorous as I anticipated.  Been years, probably 18 or so.  

What time of year did you hike it?  summer turns to fall and Fall turns to winter in minutes up on that mountain.  

Edited by 55555s