Frank2104

Tent on the beach??????

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Was wondering about driving onto either CHSP or DSSP beaches in the evening, then putting up a tent to snooze in and then fish high tide in early hours. Rather than driving down at oh dark 30. Is it allowed???    Alternative might be put up my canopy with 2 legs lowered down to make a lean to.

Really wanna try some night fishing. Was gonna try it last week when we were in Dewey but just never dragged my 71 year old butt. out of  bed!

4 mins ago, delaware surfman said:

No sleeping on the beach, especially in a tent overnight. 
Rules say must be actively fishing, 

yeah.....I forgot about that small detail surf man. Senior moment.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Frank, The only beach at the DSSP open all night is 3 R's. But Surfman is right, they see a tent, you sleeping they will give you a ticket. Now during the day, I see people not fishing, circus tents, drunks . They let them get away with it. I remember  as a kid in the 50's and 60's fishing all night on the North shore and South shore of Long Island. The kids would sleep if they got tired. Was great then.

Edited by hunter123

52 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Frank, The only beach at the DSSP open all night is 3 R's. But Surfman is right, they see a tent, you sleeping they will give you a ticket. Now during the day, I see people not fishing, circus tents, drunks . They let them get away with it. I remember  as a kid in the 50's and 60's fishing all night on the North shore and South shore of Long Island. The kids would sleep if they got tired. Was great then.

I remember camping with scouts on Key Box in the 60s.

59 mins ago, hunter123 said:

Not Faithful Steward??? Parks Surf Fishing brochure seems to show Steward as 24 hr.

I don't know, but for the last couple of years when I get to Old Inlet B & T, I see chains or gates closing the entraces to these beaches. I asked the man at old inlet , he said rangers open the gates at 8:00 am. I pretty much hit Old inlet at 6:00 am. I'm pretty sure it's Conquest, Key box, and Savage ditches .  So, If I  hit the beach 's before 8:00 am ,I go to 3 R's or Fenwick . Best thing to do is call Old inlet to find out. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

Just now, Stryper Snyper said:

Far as I know key, conquest, faithful and 3 are open 24/7 unless there is a weather issue.    

I'm pretty sure I was on Key Box before dawn this spring. Just a walk on then but lot was open

24 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I don't know, but for the last couple of years when I get to Old Inlet B & T, I see chains or gates closing the entraces to these beaches. I asked the man at old inlet , he said rangers open the gates at 8:00 am. I pretty much hit Old inlet at 6:00 am. I'm pretty sure it's Conquest, Key box, and Savage ditches .  So, If I  hit the beach 's before 8:00 am ,I go to 3 R's or Fenwick . Best thing to do is call Old inlet to find out. Tight lines.

I have seen the gates closed but you can just drive down the beach to the next open on.  Never had any issue fishing out there at night as far as being told nor to

Capt, That's good news. I like night fishing, only place I have been doing that is on A.I. I wonder why they close the gates on some of them ?  I like Conquest and Key box.

Best way to get away with sleeping on the beach (not 100%) = get a foldable full length reclining lounge chair. Put on downwind side of your truck. Put 2 sandspikes out with rods in them, topped with lightsticks. Rods not casted out. Most of the time the law will just drive by...... most of the time. 

Not me, I crawl in my truck!

trouble with bait out while you sleep.... ya got to sleep with one eye open.

Edited by Catskill John