Spool weight, lead weight, and Saltiga HA?

Rate this topic

kakaryan

So I am now using 2 conventional reels for my rock/surf fishing purpose. A Calcutta Conquest 401 (equivalent to Conquest TE) and a Sealine Ishidai 40.

I have been using 50g and 80g lead sinkers at the moment. Conquest loaded with #8 (~0.45mm) PE and Sealine loaded with #15 (~0.62mm) PE...(thick dia for abrasion resistance)

Casting both weight, the Conquest handles them well, constantly hits 60m without much backlash.

The Sealine, however, able to cast the 50g but backlash much more easily, which hits only about 40~50m at best. Casting 80g it is better, less backlash and could cosntantly hit 50~60m.

I notice the Sealine has a heavier spool, so it is not too good for casting lighter weight. And it only has the stock 2pin centri brake which I found is not enough. (No static mag modification so far)

Question:

The Sealine spool is 70g (empty weight). Would it be too heavy for casting a 50g lead? 

When you guys are talking about "light weight spool" for very long cast, how heavy the spool is?

I am also looking at the Daiwa Saltiga 20HA or 30HA? And owners could provide their spool weights? And what is the lead weight range (lower and upper end) that they are suitable for ? I want such reel to fit the gap between the Conquest and the Sealine.

Thanks

Sealine Ishidai 40 is unfamiliar reel, my first thought was it is comparable to a Saltist 40, but it is much smaller - takes 360m of 0.30mm mono.

Could you post a photo withsomething next to it for a sense of scale?

Are you sure the empty spool weighs 70g, seems very high for such a small reel?

A typical Ambassadeur 6000 sized spool (not a super lightweight one) weighs around 22g empty

You cannot have very much PE15 line on it, maybe 90m? Lordy that is heavy braid, close to 200lb actual breaking strain.

Where are you and what are you fishing for?

Yes it is a big reel.  Bigger than say an Abu 6000.

Mine is a JDM version. A current model (same size) which is available overseas is this : 

http://www.daiwa.de/dw/en/products_1/multiplier_reels_1/sealine_ishidai_h/5,1,74,75,1,1__products-model.htm?ovs_prdrows2=10

It holds 160m of #15 PE, or 150m of #20 mono (JDM #20 dia =80lb). 

The thick lines I have on them are only for the abrasion resistance on rock. 

I figured it is bigger than a 6500 Ambassadeur (or similar)

Hiow can it possibly hold 160m of PE15 (PE 15 has a dia 0.66mm) but only 150m of 0.42mm (20lb) mono?

150m of 20lb mono makes sense if the claimed  capacity of 360m of 0.30mm is true.

Anyway.

casting performance is relative.

If the 60-odd meters you mentioned is sufficient... do you need more?

If you do need more, I cn try to help

The spool weight still perplexes me, it is not a huge BG50 sized multiplier but has a heavier spool?

70g spool + 30g or so of line makes for  heavy spool to throw 50g.

Sorry for misleading, the no.20 mono for 150m is the JDM unit for dia (no.20 mono = 80lb). Not 20lb mono (which would be no.5), so u re right.

Thank you for confirmation that 50g sinker for such reel is too light, not my casting skill being bad. With such size of reel I read you guys are casting 100~200g up sinker off the beach, so I wonder. 

ah No 20 mono, not 20lb mono; I have a better understanding what you mean now.

So it is close to a Saltiga or Saltist 40 in size then.

Not nice for 50g. We use reels of that size in South Africa to throw 115g (min) up to 280g + bait.

A 20 or 30 size Saltiga will be better (smaller dia spool) but I am not sure how suitablethe factory fitted centrifugal system is for long casting....

What rod(s) are you using?

How far do you want to cast?

What are you targeting?

Edited by ZAFisher

It depends, I have several rods....For rock fishing I mostly use a 5.4m Ishidai rod (a 18' rock fishing rod). It doesn't need to cast very far 70% of time (50m is more than enough) for bottom fish such as Grouper and Mangrove Jack but being able to cast far is a plus in case oppotunities arise to target pelagics or rays or sharks out there (who knows?). This rod has a low mount reel seat.

Sometimes I use a lighter 13' self built surf rod which has a high mount reel seat. For estuary and beach and some other better standing environment (doesn't quite need a long rod when not standing on rocks). Rays and little sharks whould be the main target for sandy bottoms. That's when I would like to cast further as the nearby water is shallow. My Calcutta Conquest 401 casting 50g sinker could hit 70m constantly while the Sealine couldn't (spool being too heavy for casting such weight).

ZAFisher, I read that you had a Saltiga 20HA vs Trinidad thread. Which one have you got eventually?

I know an Abu 5/6000 or Akios would be casting lighter weight such as 50g sinker OK. But I don't like their retrieving line being too slow (5.0:1 or 60cm per turn.....which is about the same as my Conquest 401). The Saltiga get about 100cm which is much better, and bigger gears too.

4 hours ago, kakaryan said:

ZAFisher, I read that you had a Saltiga 20HA vs Trinidad thread. Which one have you got eventually?

Neither.

Local Daiwa and Shimano agents do not bring the smaller reels 20/30 and 12/14 (respectively) into South Africa and wont consider a special order

Penn on the other hand are open to supporting my requests and are bringing in a few Fathom II SDCs reels and spares.

Also very interested in the Avet SX

I have an old model Torium 14 (battered and beaten) that I have mono-magged for fishing and it works well, I just want something new and pretty.

Edited by ZAFisher