Njsurfer90

Jeep xj 2000

26 posts in this topic

My neighbor is a good friend and is a used car dealer and purchased my 2000 XJ for me at a local auction. It was owned by the EPA and had 54,900 miles. It was the next to last car to be auction on a 98 degree July day. He and one other dealer were the only ones left to bid due to the hot humid weather. He got it for $5,500 and charged me a $300 fee. I drove it for 10 years. 

One of my golf buddies had the very same model. Unfortunately his Jeep suffered its demise due a pine tree panacaking it from sever thunderstorm downburst. He called me every week for two months trying to buy mine. I was attached to my Jeep but I owned 5 vehicles at that time and was thinking about selling. I called my dealer buddy and he said to tell him that you would take $5000 and he will not call you again. Much to my surprise, he said I will be at your office in 15 minutes and that was that. I miss it at times but also owned a 2000 4Runner and a 2003 F250 with a Northstar Camper that I had been driving on the beach too.

Michael

IMG_0227.JPG

20201022_155312 (1).jpg

IMG_0162 (1).JPG

On 8/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

The cooling system is the XJs weak point; I would do the ZJ fan clutch and hood spacer/vent mod to keep the engine cooler while running in sand.

To be honest you shouldn't need any mods to keep your Xj at correct operating temps.. If you do you probably have a underlying issue... I've owned many many Xjs over the years.. lifted/stock wheeled and not wheeled and never had issues.

I have an 01 that had a heat soak problem.  Jeeps cure was reflective insulation added under the fuel rail to keep the fuel from vaporizing and causing a misfire.  This would happen when you take a long ride, shut down the vehicle and restart before it cooled down.  I installed hood vents that helped a little but still had the problem.  The fix I found that works is quite simple and inexpensive.  Had a time delay fuse/switch added to run the fan 3-4 minutes after I shut it down.  Also can be used if it gets hotter than normal while driving the beach in soft sand.  Works great.  Button to activate was installed under my light switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel-out of the way so you don’t inadvertently hit it.  

I've never had an overheating problem but always ran hotter than normal in sand which caused heat-soak in my fuel rail and cylinder 3 misfire.  Wrapping thermal tape on the fuel rail, hood vents and the ZJ fan clutch solved that issue for me as well.

40 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Anyone see Matt's Off Road Recovery?

download-5.jpg

That’s one of my favorite YouTube channels. It makes me miss the XJ I used to have although there’s not much original parts left in his at all. 

On 9/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, Gaff It said:

I have an 01 that had a heat soak problem.  Jeeps cure was reflective insulation added under the fuel rail to keep the fuel from vaporizing and causing a misfire.  This would happen when you take a long ride, shut down the vehicle and restart before it cooled down.  I installed hood vents that helped a little but still had the problem.  The fix I found that works is quite simple and inexpensive.  Had a time delay fuse/switch added to run the fan 3-4 minutes after I shut it down.  Also can be used if it gets hotter than normal while driving the beach in soft sand.  Works great.  Button to activate was installed under my light switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel-out of the way so you don’t inadvertently hit it.  

Is that what caused the problem? My old Jeep did the same thing, had it at a few mechanics and none of them could diagnose the cause of the misfire. It was crazy, anytime I drove it for a while in traffic and turned it off if I restarted shortly after, maybe just getting gas or running in to get coffee, it would shake and rattle when it restarted for about a minute and then would run normal. It never did it when running at higher speeds though. 

Most likely.  My mechanic couldn’t figure it out either.  He knew the fix (add insulation to the fuel rail) which was in a service bulletin put out by Chrysler but it never worked 100 percent.  The time delay switch I added does solve the issue.  Some retired guy, I think he was an engineer, had the same issue and came up with the fix and posted the wiring diagram online in a jeep forum.  That’s how I found it.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, Gaff It said:

Most likely.  My mechanic couldn’t figure it out either.  He knew the fix (add insulation to the fuel rail) which was in a service bulletin put out by Chrysler but it never worked 100 percent.  The time delay switch I added does solve the issue.  Some retired guy, I think he was an engineer, had the same issue and came up with the fix and posted the wiring diagram online in a jeep forum.  That’s how I found it.  

I just installed a timer delay on my 2001's e-fan a couple of weeks ago.  It seems to be working for me as well.

You will have to use the new timer relay though as I don't believe they're making the one he uses in this video.

This is the video I used:   

Edited by kulpy44