Njsurfer90

Jeep xj 2000

26 posts in this topic

Hello I just bought a jeep xj last week and planning to make it a beach buggy to drive on lbi and maybe in Long Island ... can any you Recommend or have tips for me or mods I should make .... I was thinking of a 3 inch lift on it with 31 inch tires thanks .

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had a few XJs for beach buggies.

Lift is not needed IMO.  235/75/15s got me through the sugar sand no problem.

The cooling system is the XJs weak point; I would do the ZJ fan clutch and hood spacer/vent mod to keep the engine cooler while running in sand.

Also, you may want to stay away from the '00-'01 year XJs since those year 4.0s had issues with the heads cracking.  Not too much of an issue if you're good with a wrench.

14445105_1276404585715823_4431479547739352070_o.jpg.e5377f23d58e3796170d31492da3f32a.jpg

Here's my old 2000

3.5" lift (full leafs) on 31s d-windows 2.75" backspace,

231j with SYE

4.10 gears from a 4 cylinder xj,

Adjustable control arms & trackbar

Zj fan clutch with vented hood to keep her cool in the sand

Rode just like a stock xj

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

You don’t really need a lift but your leaf springs are probably worn out so you might as well replace them with something that gives you a couple inches of lift. Add some spacers at the front coil springs and you’ll be good to fit 31” tires. Check all the brake, transmission and power steering lines and replace them if they are really rusty. I ended up replacing all of mine eventually. 

TJ guy here, but there's a lot of crossover.

-brakes

-tranny fluid swap

-diff fluid swap

- rustoleum the entire undercarrige

-wash after every outing.

All good advice above. Lift not really needed unless you are changing springs anyway. Be wary of driveline vibrations when lifting. Also, check all the front end parts for wear as they contribute to death wobble if bad. Great beach buggy in stock form. I had a 2000 for a few years no problems. I did change out the rad to a 3 row and the cooling issues were gone. 235's were all I needed for the beach. Wish I still had it today.

Thanks for the advice guys and I’m pretty good with a wrench I work at a mechanic shop so I can get parts for a discount price and thing like that i will deff it change the my leaf springs because the passenger side one is rusted out but I’m doing little thing little by little hoping to have it done by the fall run 

D88B1BB5-B93F-4E27-9DBC-529C3B9A48F9.jpeg

4 hours ago, Njsurfer90 said:

Thanks for the advice guys and I’m pretty good with a wrench I work at a mechanic shop so I can get parts for a discount price and thing like that i will deff it change the my leaf springs because the passenger side one is rusted out but I’m doing little thing little by little hoping to have it done by the fall run

Them leaf spring bolts are a dog to break free.  I use a jackstand to keep the socket/extension parallel with the bolt, otherwise, you'll snap the weld nut in the unibody.  Plus, this method will give you more leverage on the bolt.

Chances are the bolt will be seized in the metal sleeve of the leaf spring eye; you may have to cut the leaf spring & bushing to get it all free.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Njsurfer90 said:

D88B1BB5-B93F-4E27-9DBC-529C3B9A48F9.jpeg

I used to have the same jeep. 2000 sport in Patriot Blue. 

3 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Them leaf spring bolts are a dog to break free.  I use a jackstand to keep the socket/extension parallel with the bolt, otherwise, you'll snap the weld nut in the unibody.  Plus, this method will give you more leverage on the bolt.

Chances are the bolt will be seized in the metal sleeve of the leaf spring eye; you may have to cut the leaf spring & bushing to get it all free.

Good luck.

Yep, I snapped the weld inside the frame and had the nut spinning free when I changed mine years ago. Had to cut a pocket in the frame to get the nut/bolt removed and then had a friend weld a plate back over it. That sucked 

Edited by Finneus

I had a 1990 xj, She was one of the best trucks for driving on the beach. I really miss that truck. I just left it stock, it did have a towing package it on her, so she had a trany cooler, and a larger radiator, and a special fan clutch that came with the tow package. There is a shop near me in DE that rebuilds them for guys that want them for the beach.

Edited by hunter123

You could always do extended shackles or add-a-leafs if you don't want to mess with the bolts.  Much less of a headache to alleviate sagging leafs.

Google "xj budget junkyard builds".

On 8/16/2021 at 8:28 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

14445105_1276404585715823_4431479547739352070_o.jpg.e5377f23d58e3796170d31492da3f32a.jpg

Here's my old 2000

She looks great, I had the same color. Just got rid of it last year, started to have too many issues and I didn't have the time to keep up. 

8 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Good luck.

Yeah I was thinking of just cutting the bolts and putting new ones on and maybe extending the shackles 

I would start soaking the suspension bolts in PB Blaster or Kroil, might make things easier when taking it apart.   

I don't have much experience with XJs on the beach but plenty of experience with working on them and rock crawling.   Still have a 99 xj on 33s or 35s (33s for street use, 35s off road) Cooling upgrades would be helpful, transmission cooler too.  Theres a company in Southeast PA that makes nice XJ radiators, Cold Case I think is the company name.  Hood vents can help too, especially with the later model XJ heat soak issues.

Plenty of budget suspension upgrades...V8 ZJ coils will give a little lift.  JK Rubicon shocks will work for an xj with a small lift.  There is an XJ forum that will have junkyard upgrade threads.  If you're planning on driving it a good bit, probably spend more for a nicer setup.  Old man emu springs are good and ride nicely.  I've been happy with iron rock offroad leaf springs too.  Going with a budget boost (coil spacers and extended shackles) will work but extended shackles and old stock leafs will end up with the springs sagging sooner. 

49 mins ago, PSUFly said:

I would start soaking the suspension bolts in PB Blaster or Kroil, might make things easier when taking it apart.   

I don't have much experience with XJs on the beach but plenty of experience with working on them and rock crawling.   Still have a 99 xj on 33s or 35s (33s for street use, 35s off road) Cooling upgrades would be helpful, transmission cooler too.  Theres a company in Southeast PA that makes nice XJ radiators, Cold Case I think is the company name.  Hood vents can help too, especially with the later model XJ heat soak issues.

Plenty of budget suspension upgrades...V8 ZJ coils will give a little lift.  JK Rubicon shocks will work for an xj with a small lift.  There is an XJ forum that will have junkyard upgrade threads.  If you're planning on driving it a good bit, probably spend more for a nicer setup.  Old man emu springs are good and ride nicely.  I've been happy with iron rock offroad leaf springs too.  Going with a budget boost (coil spacers and extended shackles) will work but extended shackles and old stock leafs will end up with the springs sagging sooner. 

Thanks for the heads up deff want to do the cooling upgrades on it and most deff it have to change the leaf springs since one of the shackles is rusted out