NHAngler

NH Report - Yesterday Blue

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

7am to noonish in NH waters yesterday. Found Mackeral right away but they were moving around a lot and only managed 15 or so. Moved on to head to planned spot and loaded up with another 60-70 on the way. Lots of bump trolling along structure in 15-30 fow with only seeing good marks on the sonar tight to the bottom. 1 7-8 pound bluefish at the end of the trip to show for it. The irony was that I caught the blue exactly where we started near the moving bait schools.

2 lessons learned / reminded:

1. Don’t leave baitfish that are being harassed without investigating. 

2. The 1st hours of the incoming tide where we fished, suck. 

I've been schooled on #1 lesson myself more than once. :kook: 

Corollary: don't leave fish to find fish. ;)

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, NHAngler said:

2. The 1st hours of the incoming tide where we fished, suck. 

This has been the case for me all season, but especially lately in most of my spots. Might pick up a few micros, but there’s really not much going on for the first half of the incoming. 

Edited by drmevo

6 hours ago, drmevo said:

This has been the case for me all season, but especially lately in most of my spots. Might pick up a few micros, but there’s really not much going on for the first half of the incoming. 

Interesting, my largest fish of the season came off the beach last night during the first half of the incoming and the most consistent bite I have had in over month was right at the beginning of the incoming tide a few hours before that. 

12 hours ago, EarningStripes207 said:

Interesting, my largest fish of the season came off the beach last night during the first half of the incoming and the most consistent bite I have had in over month was right at the beginning of the incoming tide a few hours before that. 

That's pretty much same scenario here. If I can catch the beginning of the  incoming in the estuaries 3-4 am , its been excel. last 10 days. Seems to be way more sand eels and crabs in the past month. Crab pattern on fly rod barely stripped is tops!

I'll add that no matter the tide, the most important thing is moving water and of course where that moving water is moving from and to. Sometimes and places this happens at very different stages and sometimes is not from the other sources.