Derick Jahnke

Blank Talk

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm looking for a comparison of blanks. Mainly between the Blackhole and MHX surf blanks compared to a Lamiglas GSB 1201L (this is my baseline as it is what I have). I fish for Pacific Surf Perch....they are small but that isn't the issue. The issue is our Surf/current is pretty strong and requires 2-4 ounces plus small baits casted a decent way (not that East Coast surf casting, 20-80 yards depending on how flat the beach is and where the sand bars are are). I've tried various blanks...GSB is too beastly, Suzuki Special 10 ft is awesome but I feel like I'm going to blow it up. How do the Blackhole Striped Bass and East Coast special light blanks compare? What about the MHX 1-4 surf blanks? I need something with a bit more durability for 4 ounce lob type casts, but not something as heavy as the GSB...

17 mins ago, Derick Jahnke said:

Hello,

I'm looking for a comparison of blanks. Mainly between the Blackhole and MHX surf blanks compared to a Lamiglas GSB 1201L (this is my baseline as it is what I have). I fish for Pacific Surf Perch....they are small but that isn't the issue. The issue is our Surf/current is pretty strong and requires 2-4 ounces plus small baits casted a decent way (not that East Coast surf casting, 20-80 yards depending on how flat the beach is and where the sand bars are are). I've tried various blanks...GSB is too beastly, Suzuki Special 10 ft is awesome but I feel like I'm going to blow it up. How do the Blackhole Striped Bass and East Coast special light blanks compare? What about the MHX 1-4 surf blanks? I need something with a bit more durability for 4 ounce lob type casts, but not something as heavy as the GSB...

What length?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I only have the 8ft MHX surf Blank, but I can tell you that like most blanks, the sweet spot is right in the middle of the lure range stated on the blank.  I would look for a moderate action blank rated 2-5 or preferably 2-6 ounces. The MHX 10ft 2-5 ounce might fit the bill - I suggest you call them and tell them of your application..

Edited by FlatWing

I built an 11’ East Coast special medium and it’s sweet spot is right in the 4oz range. Gets it out there and isn’t too beastly to handle, one of my favorite rods.

FD61E16A-36AA-4FD8-95A4-C7ED733B0EE5.jpeg

178F297F-61E3-4589-95C5-120EA8A97FAB.jpeg

Define “beastly”

You mean heavy?

Your not going to find too many blanks that are lighter than the GSB 1201L. It weighs 6.5 oz. 
The MHX and Blackhole blanks more than likely weigh a little more.

To go lighter than the GSB you will need to look at Century or CTS.

Found specs for the MHX, comes in at 4.75 oz.  Jignpop has no inventory for the east coast special now so no specs.

For comparison, GSB1202L comes in at 4.5 oz.

Understanding that you have physical limitations, any 10’ rod might give the same issue. Look for a shorter rod. 9 foot or under.

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

Define “beastly”

You mean heavy?

Your not going to find too many blanks that are lighter than the GSB 1201L. It weighs 6.5 oz. 
The MHX and Blackhole blanks more than likely weigh a little more.

To go lighter than the GSB you will need to look at Century or CTS.

The GSB is heavy and too stout of a rod for my needs. I won't be doing powerful casts like is done for striped bass. Just a lob and crawling the gear back. I don't need to be casting in the sweet spot of the blank. I just need to be confident that it won't blow up.

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

Found specs for the MHX, comes in at 4.75 oz.  Jignpop has no inventory for the east coast special now so no specs.

For comparison, GSB1202L comes in at 4.5 oz.

Understanding that you have physical limitations, any 10’ rod might give the same issue. Look for a shorter rod. 9 foot or under.

I have a feeling that the lami specs are not correct. The Suzuki Special 10 ft blank is like 3.7ish ounces (I weighed it) the GSB must have damn near twice the material in it.

I've built a few of the black hole surf blanks (the higher end ones):

Striper 92 and 96, not my favorite. Over rated as well. 92 realistically maxes at 2.5oz and the 96 is 1-3.5oz maybe 4oz. The clear coat over the purple finish is terrible.

Surf II regular/yellow tail. Unbeatable blank. 5oz all day, full send, easily handles 2oz on the low end as well. I have lobed (not a full out cast) up to 8oz with it and it does that decently well.

Surf II heavy. Broomstick. 8+ bait rod. 3-10oz is under rated. Doesn't start to load well until 6oz.

I have not built the MHX surf blanks, but I have built quite a few MHX blanks and most have been very good quality. The only ones that gave me issues were the multi piece blanks. Every single multi piece MHX failed at the ferrule, in the same way, with the female part cracking. All of them were properly wrapped. MHX warrantied all of them and said the failure was from over loading. All of the failures were on 15-40lb blanks with 20lb leaders that didn't snap, so to me that says the blanks are over rated.

All of the black holes I listed are fairly heavy, but honestly a few ounces shouldn't matter. You can save weight elsewhere if the heavier blank is the better one. The blank hole blanks are nearly indestructible short of major user error.