Elaztech (Zman) baits melting

Rate this topic

Johnsmyname

I’m new to these baits and just learning that the Elaztech material doesn’t mix well with other plastics and will melt. How volatile is this? Can I use on a bucktail with plastic hair or a rubber skirt? Can the baits be left on the bucktail or do they need to be pulled off after fishing and stored in the bag? I usually store all my rubber baits in some leftover Gulp liquid, can Elaztech be stored in this liquid? 

11 mins ago, Johnsmyname said:

I’m new to these baits and just learning that the Elaztech material doesn’t mix well with other plastics and will melt. How volatile is this? Can I use on a bucktail with plastic hair or a rubber skirt? Can the baits be left on the bucktail or do they need to be pulled off after fishing and stored in the bag? I usually store all my rubber baits in some leftover Gulp liquid, can Elaztech be stored in this liquid? 

I keep them in the iriginal bag with jigheads on (unpainted,non-fancy jigheads) and they really, really do not like to be stored in a hot car.

10 mins ago, Callmefish said:

I keep them in the iriginal bag with jigheads on (unpainted,non-fancy jigheads) and they really, really do not like to be stored in a hot car.

... that said I'll add 2 cents and say that they are great action lures, a super durable on the hook and long lasting product if handled right.  I think they are worth the extra annoyance in some circumstances.  

12 mins ago, 55555s said:

... that said I'll add 2 cents and say that they are great action lures, a super durable on the hook and long lasting product if handled right.  I think they are worth the extra annoyance in some circumstances.  

I’m excited to try them, they look great. The fact they float paired with a swingtail jig I’m thinking I can impart some great action on them. 

That said, I’m fine dealing with any extra annoyance, just don’t want to mess up a bunch of tackle learning the intricacies if I can just ask here. 

2 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

They will also form a set if not stored properly.

I stopped using them for the most part.

Good to know Scoob, thanks. I’m assuming storing properly means back in the bag out of sunlight and high heat? Any additional details you can share?

4 mins ago, Johnsmyname said:

I’m excited to try them, they look great. The fact they float paired with a swingtail jig I’m thinking I can impart some great action on them. 

That said, I’m fine dealing with any extra annoyance, just don’t want to mess up a bunch of tackle learning the intricacies if I can just ask here. 

:th: I'll bet.  Yep.  

I kept it simple and did as others said right off- keep them in their own original bag sealed, dont leave it on the rod where it'll touch other plastics/rubber/stuff, and dont bake them in the sun.

Try them, they have a place IMO.  You likely wont regret.   If so, give em to a kid. 

Edited by 55555s

The melting and melding with other plastics is a real concern

On the other hand, I know a couple guys using big zman baits. We've found bass actively pounding bunker a bunch of times. I'm getting 2-8 fish out of 12" sluggos double zip tied onto jig heads. It seems like my 2 friends have not needed to change baits after dozens of 30-45" fish

I just rigged the last of my stash of sluggos and will try some Savage baits I won in a raffle when I go out tonight

2 hours ago, Johnsmyname said:

Good to know Scoob, thanks. I’m assuming storing properly means back in the bag out of sunlight and high heat? Any additional details you can share?

make sure they are laying in their "out of the mold position" and with nothing resting on them.  

Hot or cold.....they'll form a set

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

:th: I'll bet.  Yep.  

I kept it simple and did as others said right off- keep them in their own original bag sealed, dont leave it on the rod where it'll touch other plastics/rubber/stuff, and dont bake them in the sun.

Try them, they have a place IMO.  You likely wont regret.   If so, give em to a kid. 

This :agree:

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

Just do as others have all said now… And all will be well!

Keep in original packs

Don’t mix with other than ZMan baits

Don’t “store” them in high heat locations 

I have a few hundred packs and have had no issues at all. Just because a few folks can’t (or won’t) properly store and maintain their tackle doesn’t make the tackle bad…

And yes, I said a few hundred packs……. (most of my packs are doubled or tripled up!

2957A115-FCBA-4167-BF47-11B20DF9433B.jpeg

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"