Capt.Castafly

That Seals the Deal

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Block Island…..

Seas were calm for a late afternoon/evening fishing trip out to the island.

We ended up in our favorite blue fishing hole and again did not disappoint.

Within three casts we were on to out fist giant bluefish of the day.

This one when landed, looked small, maybe around ten pounds.

Back out the swimming minnow again after a long cast.

Within several winds, we are tight again, this time if feels much bigger.

The first run reels off 50 yards of line. We start to reclaim some of that line when she makes a second and third run. We think we have command now making more progress.

Suddenly the drag starts to sing again, stronger and louder than ever before.

There’s a push of current behind it the likes I’ve never seen, So much water being moved, like a ferry trusting its propeller blades to get started. What was that? The drags continue to sing.

Perhaps our fish is wrapped around some boulder and our fast drift is paying out line?

I look at the reel and now we are getting spooled. The motor shift lever moves forward to reclaim some of the lost line. By now there are two hundred yards of 16 pound mono, so tight you could use it as a clothes line.  Slowly we make progress as we motor in toward shore.

The hooked fish seems stagnant in the shallow waters but the boat moves forward.

Suddenly out of nowhere, this big black object the size of a 55 gal drum emerges.

Oh my god, it’s a seal. Looks like 600 pounds with our bluefish in its mouth.

This has never happen to me ever in Rhode Island waters.

Its tug of war for the next five minutes, nothing is happening.

Suddenly the line goes limp, but there is some resistance to it.

Wonder what it is?  This is what’s left to a 15 lbs. bluefish after a seal has its meal.

Talk about card bonk on my American Express card.

This seal got a free meal on us today and we paid the price.

We pitched the lure out again, hooked up immediately and the same scenario happened again.

We had enough!  On the Cape this happens all the time, but it’s the first time I’ve ever experienced this in our waters. It almost certain the seal scenario is building here, just like the Cape. There goes the neighborhood and good fishing.     

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

Hate to say it, but it's happening everywhere from RI to the north shore of Mass (and probably beyond), Seems to have taken a quantum leap this season. I'm afraid it's just the beginning. :( 

16 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Block Island…..

Seas were calm for a late afternoon/evening fishing trip out to the island.

We ended up in our favorite blue fishing hole and again did not disappoint.

Within three casts we were on to out fist giant bluefish of the day.

This one when landed, looked small, maybe around ten pounds.

Back out the swimming minnow again after a long cast.

Within several winds, we are tight again, this time if feels much bigger.

The first run reels off 50 yards of line. We start to reclaim some of that line when she makes a second and third run. We think we have command now making more progress.

Suddenly the drag starts to sing again, stronger and louder than ever before.

There’s a push of current behind it the likes I’ve never seen, So much water being moved, like a ferry trusting its propeller blades to get started. What was that? The drags continue to sing.

Perhaps our fish is wrapped around some boulder and our fast drift is paying out line?

I look at the reel and now we are getting spooled. The motor shift lever moves forward to reclaim some of the lost line. By now there are two hundred yards of 16 pound mono, so tight you could use it as a clothes line.  Slowly we make progress as we motor in toward shore.

The hooked fish seems stagnant in the shallow waters but the boat moves forward.

Suddenly out of nowhere, this big black object the size of a 55 gal drum emerges.

Oh my god, it’s a seal. Looks like 600 pounds with our bluefish in its mouth.

This has never happen to me ever in Rhode Island waters.

Its tug of war for the next five minutes, nothing is happening.

Suddenly the line goes limp, but there is some resistance to it.

Wonder what it is?  This is what’s left to a 15 lbs. bluefish after a seal has its meal.

Talk about card bonk on my American Express card.

This seal got a free meal on us today and we paid the price.

We pitched the lure out again, hooked up immediately and the same scenario happened again.

We had enough!  On the Cape this happens all the time, but it’s the first time I’ve ever experienced this in our waters. It almost certain the seal scenario is building here, just like the Cape. There goes the neighborhood and good fishing.     

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

Good illustration of how the seal can eat the fish without getting hooked.

This is a really good post. I suppose it could have been a shark bite off ... but the culprit did show himself.

It’s inevitable, seals will be infesting the RI shoreline like they did on the cape. While growing up in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s in Mass., I saw the steady increase of seals at the cape during those years, and RI is right on track.

March 15, 2021 I was fishing a local brackish river when I saw a seal pup surfacing multiple times within casting distance. I have no doubt seals winter over here as my wife likes to seal watch in a local harbor during the winter months however, this is the 1st pup I saw during the winter.

Problem is, they multiply ever year and without enough natural predators, they’ll dominate the RI shoreline.

I HATE those things, they freeload everywhere they go.  Hopefully they won't build in numbers like the cape.  Saw one inside Pt Judith last week.  Need to bring Seal Fur coats back in vogue...

Just need to change your Tackle Ray. Need to upgrade to a Penn 130 and learn how to hide the hook really well.  Catch those basturds and look um in the eye and tell them to go back to Massachusetts!

6 hours ago, DrBob said:

I HATE those things, they freeload everywhere they go.  Hopefully they won't build in numbers like the cape.  Saw one inside Pt Judith last week. 

The problem is, you don't even need numbers of seals to wreck the fishing. Just one grey sitting on a school is enough. Seals learn quickly that humans = easy dinner. As soon as a boat pulls onto a school, they shoot right over and shadow it until someone hooks up. Then it's busted line and lost fish. 

Worse, greys often make target species nervous. Which many times affects the bite. I know I wouldn't be comfortable sitting down at a restaurant if a Grizzly was eyeing me, hungrily, though the window.

Was  in Narraganset fishing last week when a school of fish cornered some bait, just as they started to blitz the bait a big fat seal shows up and camps himself in the action.  30 seconds later not a fish to be seen, they took off.  Went from a promising outing to finding  a new spot real quick.  Have a funny feeling this will be a constant this fall.....