Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

WTC (lets pray)

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm ok. The phones lines are all jammed up, people have been trying to get ahold of me all morning. My sisters were crying, and my wife was a wreck. I'm home now, I'm watching the news. I know folks want to know what it was like, news is sketchy, people need to know, so let me try to explain what I saw and felt.

I was out with Alberto and some others last night, kinda late, brews, etc. so I almost overslept for a 9am conference all. I used to work a 4 WTC, directly below the south tower. I basically gave myself enough time to get to work and prep for a conference call. When I got off the E train I was going through the lobby under the North Tower toward the elevator of my building and saw people screaming and running in the opposite direction. Then I saw what looked like security or secret service agents that were yelling something about "GET OUT..GET OUT". I immediately thought it was a shooting, and figured the best thing to do was to go through a system of connecting underground subway platforms that lead away from the buildings. Anything but go out onto the street. I was thinking snipers or something. I got out a few blocks away, and walked over by City Hall. I came out onto the street and could not believe the size of the hole through the North Tower. It was burning and debris was falling. It was at that time that some construction workers told me they saw a plane had hit the tower, a big American Airlines jet. I just stood there watching what was the greatest tradegy I (or most people) ever had to look at. My office was only on the 6th floor, but I was hoping everyone was getting out. You see, we have fire drills from time to time, but some folks dont take it very seriously and continue with business. It was at that moment that the second plane hit the other tower. Even from where I was standing I could feel the heat. It was at that moment that I honestly felt it was terrorism, and I looked around me. I swear it looked like the structural integrity of the south tower had been compromised, kinda like a fracture. I thought, man this could come down, and it could take out whole blocks. I was standing near some Federal buildings and the court by now. I got very scared that these might be next in a hit so I ran into a section of lower Manhattan (Lafayette St.) that has mostly older buildings and few if any landmarks, and walked up toward mid-town, eventually getting the N train to 34th. I had my fears about going into Penn Station, but was very worried about getting home. I also wanted to try to call my wife so I took a gamble and went into Penn Station. There was a Babylon Train announcing final boarding, so I just jumped on it, feeling that I would be better off out of Manhattan. I also feared the City would be shut down.

At this time, I have no clue how my office co-workers made out. I fear that the collapse of the south tower destroyed anyone in my office. So now I'm in state of shock. I have my real fears about my coworkers and friends. (lets pray)

john

I also work in 4 WTC, as I hear everybody got out long before the tower collapsed, I was also there for the bombing in 93 whenthe exchanges were packed w/ 3000 people onthe 8th floor. It only take about 10 minutes to clear the building which as I understand was done immediately.

Good luck

Freedom

John, we can hope and pray that your co workers were immediately evacuated. There was a good half hour (I think) before the first tower collapsed, there is a good chance they got out and away from the building. All we can do is pray and be thankful for each and everyone that survived these attacks.

TimS