Z0rb0

Tuna in the surf north shore

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

A buddy got a few small BFT at night this year on block from surf. Chunking for bass

That had to be a nice surprise.

Never heard of them from shore at night in New England. Boat obviously. 

44 mins ago, rst3 said:

I thought that guy on the south shore got his on a chunk at night.  I’ll see if I can dig up details.

13 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I thought that guy on the south shore got his on a chunk at night.  I’ll see if I can dig up details.

Guy from Marshfield got one from shore years ago 20+ if I recall

I think the sentiment on this is the same from all in that this was unlikely a tuna and more likely a seal. However, it is entirely possible.

Could the other explanation be a big bluefish? I have never caught them at night and like tuna, they are more of a sight feeder. But kind of like being married and hungry for an outing and being presented with an opportunity of a lifetime in your face, the midnight snack for a tuna, bluefish, or other sight feeder is going to chew and screw?

5 hours ago, S J Fish said:

Guy from Marshfield got one from shore years ago 20+ if I recall

If I recall that story correctly, the fish actually beached itself as it did a fast circle back towards the beach. If that fish had chosen wisely just to 'head out to sea', this fisherman's story would've ended the way most stories of bluefin hooked from shore end...

Posted (edited)

Back when I had my boat we casted to bluefin tuna for hours right at the mouth of the Annisquam river, they were on schools of mackerel with some very large fish in the school.

Edited by gdc23

Can you even legally posses a shore caught BFT?  I thought a tuna license has to be assigned to a boat?  At least it was when I had a license. 

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

Can you even legally posses a shore caught BFT?  I thought a tuna license has to be assigned to a boat?  At least it was when I had a license. 

You are correct I believe you cannot harvest them it was recently brought up on a thread here as well 

3 hours ago, albacized said:

If I recall that story correctly, the fish actually beached itself as it did a fast circle back towards the beach. If that fish had chosen wisely just to 'head out to sea', this fisherman's story would've ended the way most stories of bluefin hooked from shore end...

I was thinking of this story.  Sounds like it was a pretty good battle.  The fish you were thinking of was about 450lbs.

On 8/14/2021 at 1:55 PM, rst3 said:

Funny story, the same angler has yet to catch a striper. That’s obviously what he was chasing. Imagine landing BFT from shore before ever catching a schoolie?

2 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

Funny story, the same angler has yet to catch a striper. That’s obviously what he was chasing. Imagine landing BFT from shore before ever catching a schoolie?

That's what great about fishing..it's just a line in the water and see what you can fool. Guess nobody told the tuna that chunk of dinner wasn't connected to some insta-fisherman with 3 grand worth of gear.